Unit 28 Deer - raft needed?

fly4fish

Hey, I am heading to unit 28 to try and help my little brother film and fill his deer tag. I have been through the area a few times, but have not hunted deer or elk there.

Would it be wise for us to bring some sort of flotation device to get across the river? Is the river a good spot to start? Also, would it be wise to buy an elk tag?

We have the last 5 days of December to get it done. Regardless, it looks like neat country for a nice, easy hike. Any information is welcome. Wish us luck! Thanks for any info.

If you have a raft, throw it in. Be VERY careful crossing the river, it is very deceptive. You should see both deer and elk, but getting within bow range of both in 5 days is probably going to be tough.

>getting within bow
>range of both in 5
>days is probably going to
>be tough.

Actually, we would be tickled to have a couple stalk opportunities on either, both would be great. If the chances are good enough, then it might be wise to have an elk tag in my pocket along with my wolf tag; $400 is tough to swallow though.

The excuse for going on this trip is to get footage of which I plan to use as marketing materials for a line of products I am developing. Due to this, and just the way we are, our standards are set reasonably high, as mature bucks and antlered bulls make for better videos, more challenge and excitement, and more meat.

We are wondering if we would be best to backpack in? The convenience of the pick
-up with the long, cold night time hours right now sounds appealing, but we need to make the most of our time. Does anybody know if the game is reachable with day hikes?

Thanks for the info. I will buy a walmart special two man raft; hopefully it does not leave us stranded.

By that time, a lot of the mature bucks could be antlerless. If you do luck out and get one...Don't pull on the antlers, they'll pop off. Wolf tags are a great idea up there.
Be careful crossing the river, a lot of times it will be iced in on the edges that time of year. A raft is a good idea.

Good luck

I have seen several good bucks pitch their antlers in unit 28 already...

I have never seen any mule deer loose their head gear until later in January. Is this part of the state different than the rest of the nation? I know the whitetail have probably began dropping them.

On a different note, I saw a low temp this morning of -2 in Salmon and -9 in Challis. Brrrrrrr!

>I have seen several good bucks
>pitch their antlers in unit
>28 already...

Well, at least it is good to know that there are "several good bucks" around!

Thanks for the warning. If it weren't for a couple excited toddlers, I'd head that direction now and skip out on Christmas to do some hunting in honor of Christ's birth.

>I have never seen any mule
>deer loose their head gear
>until later in January.
>Is this part of the
>state different than the rest
>of the nation? I
>know the whitetail have probably
>began dropping them.
>
>On a different note, I saw
>a low temp this morning
>of -2 in Salmon and
>-9 in Challis. Brrrrrrr!
>

I was late archery hunting a couple years ago and seen two bucks together and only one had antlers as early as December tenth. However usually around Christmas time they can fall off any-day. With that being said i have seen them pack them till the end of march.... For the most part i have picked up a lot of sheds on the days very close to Christmas.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-12 AT 10:44PM (MST)[p]dont know as a fact but have been told that when temps get close to the zero mark look for bucks to loose there antlers not all of them but they will come off had a friend pull his a little by the antler and it popped right off

We typically start to see 1-antlered mule deer (and white-tailed deer) bucks during the first week of December most years. This year, Dec 1 was the first report I received. This is the primary reason I try to have mule deer herd composition (helicopter) surveys done by mid-Dec in this Region (which can overlap a few late-season hunting opportunities). Although no specific research has been done, some speculate the sub-par habitat/nutrition in this area may play a role in earlier than normal antler drop (winter fawn weights and overwinter survivial in Salmon Region are almost always the lowest in the state). Some mule deer bucks certainly do hold antlers longer (into March).

Tom Keegan
IDFG Regional Wildlife Manager

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the elk in the area shed their antlers earlier than typical of elsewhere? I assume it is no earlier than February, but you'd think if it was due to lack of nutrition, then both deer and elk would shed early.

It is going to be hard to not get myself an elk tag, especially if we begin seeing them right away. From what I've heard it is probably better elk hunting than deer. Can anybody verify this?

Does anybody have any recommendations on where to pick an Elk tag up near Salmon?

Merry Christmas!

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the elk in the area shed their antlers earlier than typical of elsewhere? I assume it is no earlier than February, but you'd think if it was due to lack of nutrition, then both deer and elk would shed early.

It is going to be hard to not get myself an elk tag, especially if we begin seeing them right away. From what I've heard it is probably better elk hunting than deer. Can anybody verify this?

Does anybody have any recommendations on where to pick an Elk tag up near Salmon?

Merry Christmas!

I see bulls with antlers up there every year when I am fishing in early March. There are a couple of stores and a sporting goods shop that sell tags and licenses. I would definitely stay in the truck, rather than pack in somewhere. You can make some long day-hikes from the river, and you will be able to move about until you spot game. Plus, sitting in a tent for the 14 hours of darkness will get old quickly.

Timing of elk antler shedding in Salmon Region is similar to other areas (typically in April). In general, elk have lower nutritional demands than deer. Deer have a smaller relative stomach volume, so deer need higher quality, more digestible forage, whereas elk can subsist on lower quality forage. Deer have to pant to dissipate heat, whereas elk sweat, which decreases energetic costs for elk. Elk also have energetic advantages beacuse they incur lower costs for movement in deep snow, can reach higher to forage, and can use a greater variety of forage resources than deer. So, overall, habitat here is "better" for elk and they are less likely to suffer from nutritional deficiencies than mule deer.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom