Unit 28 help

A

alaska_lanche

I'm looking at coming down to hunt unit 28 in the first part of Dec. for muleys. What can I expect other than probably a lot of snow. Any area that might be better to focus on that time of year. Not really looking for anyone's honey hole, just looking for a small buck or doe and experience what Idaho has to offer as far as hunting.

Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-08 AT 02:30PM (MST)[p] I believe that is bow hunting at the first of december, let me know. Use to bow hunt 28 all the time in the late season and had a ball. The snow really isn't very bad, it's the steepness with the snow that is bad. Take some boots that you can afford to drill holes into the soles. Then take some grain elavator bolts, "they have big flat round heads", and insert them through the soles. Then use a washer and a nut on the outside of the sole and fasten it down tight. Do about 3 in the heel and about 6 on the front pad. If you go out there that could save your life!

Thanks Frontier,

Yeah its a bow hunt. I bow hunt up here in Alaska, but all big game hunting is basically done until August. Be great to get down that way. Be fun to get out try my hand at hunting. Be nice just to see a different part of the country and some different animals. Do you think some step-in crampons would work?? I use these while sheep hunting near glaciers and they are light weight and work well. Its nice to be able to have the option to remove the metal off the bottom of your feet especially when you get into the steep rocky stuff. But if you think that for down there that the boot/screw method is the way to go I'll give it a whirl on a pair of boots I have.

Thanks again for the info.

The crampons do work, but not nearly as well as the bolt method. Everyone that tried crampons always ended up using the bolts. You may get into some rock slides and rocky areas, but you can usually avoid them, there really aren't that many out there as compared to hunting in glacier country.

Will send you a pm.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom