Unit 2B mule deer tag

BigoleDonks

Drew unit 2b in northern nm this year. I have never hunted or so much as even stepped foot in this country any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Unless you are a youth hunter this year. If you are not then you're screwed especially Jan bow hunt. This year they put the youth rifle hunt and added more tags smack dab in the rut. Say goodbye to all the big bucks. It's good news for the youth hunters with tags but the rest of the tag holders are gonna be fighting for the remaining forkies.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-19 AT 10:12PM (MST)[p]I have no problem putting in the work. Usually walk an average of about 12-15 miles a day When hunting so that isnt a problem. I'm just not going to have a chance to scout before the. 2nd rifle hunt Nov 2-6 So,just looking for any advice. Thanks

Find the waterholes they are using and sit on it.
Glassing from a high spot should let you see deer.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

The roads get bad when it rains, but they dry quickly too. There could be more deer up by Colorado if the migration hasn't started. Just like everywhere else, be patient if you want to find a big buck.

Thank you everyone for the input so far. I have been trying to study maps and Google earth as much as possable. To kinda figure out where to camp. And where to go. Due to all of the roads and closures and such. I dont mind walking at all. But of course if I could drive and cut some distance and get further back in the country would be a huge plus in my book as well. Again I appreciate the info

lots of people camp at Buzzard park.

Lots of info on this hunt in the forums. It's mostly a migration hunt. The number of deer you see Should increase every day out. Don't be scared to hold out to last day if you need to.

Deer numbers and quality has been declining in unit 2 for quite some time now, this includes all sub-units in 2; 2A, 2B, and 2C. Your hunt will be no different than it has been for the past decade or so, you will be hunting local deer. If you don't mind walking, hunt behind locked gates on BLM and USFS. Hard to explain since you've never stepped foot in the unit, but you'll figure it out pretty quick. The closer to the border you hunt behind the locked gates, the better your hunt will be - it's a pain to pack a case of beer 3 miles behind a gate so those knot-heads will be nowhere close to you.

The third rifle hunt is when you begin to see a few more deer filter in, but there has to be weather hitting the high country in CO to push them down. The deer in CO don't migrate in like snowbirds (old retired guys) flocking to Vegas and Phoenix, there is a lot of country in southern CO that looks identical to 2B, so that is a misnomer to say wait for a "migration".

Increased hunting pressure in CO will cause deer to move in more than a few inches of snow will, so as far as kids killing all the deer, well, CO has first shot at it. 'Bout time the kids finally have an advantage instead of that stupid early Oct deer hunt "provided". I do agree, however, there are probably too many tags that were offered...

Thanks for the info roadrunner. Last I was told was to try to hunt as close to the CO border nearest to Navajo lake or in the corner next to the jicarillo. So im still trying to study maps to figure out how to get up on the northern end

Lots of area north of that border has gotten pretty cold lately.
MAYBE early snow in those mountains north of unit 2B
watch that weather.
Lots of areas to get to get high and glass that country.

Helped a friend of mine with the 2B muzzle loader hunt last week. He shot a nice 150? buck with deep back forks and decent mass.

PM me for info

How was the rest of the deer you saw.

I only hunted with them the 4th morning of the hunt as I was hunting 2A the first three days trying to fill my tag.

From what they told me deer were few and far between. More hunters than deer. They saw two other mature bucks the morning before I was with them and a few smaller bucks and does.

I was just lucky enough to be with them when he pulled the trigger on a nice one. It was his first muley and he was a happy camper.

I still can't believe they're putting 475 hunters out there for the 3rd rifle hunt.

Thanks for the info. May I ask the area that was hunted? I did get wind up getting to scout yesterday ( thank you job finishing early lol) basically got a full day to scout or more cover country if youd like to say. Only seen 1 decent 8 point about 22-24 inches wide. The rest was a bunch of does and few young 4 and 6 points and even a couple of fawns.

Just trying to mark check off areas as come Saturday morning we are still going to be trying to figure out where to go and what to do

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-19 AT 10:29PM (MST)[p]I hunted that unit about five years ago in January. Get up high on vantages where you can see Sage flats that people can't see from the road, freeze your butt off and locate some deer. We seen some on 170 type deer. You can go to Arizona and hunt in Jan where it's 75? degrees and also hunt 170 type bucks otc.

Sorry for delayed response folks. It's been very hectic since I returned from 2b. Was a very very hard hunt. It was extremely dry , over crowded. And flat out just no deer really since there wasn't any snow in Colorado yet. Seen a bunch of little forkies get killed due to this. I had told myself I wasn't gonna kill. Unless it was mature so added to the challenge ,but all worked out as I wound up tagging a a mature 8 point on the 3rd day. He was only the 2nd legal shooter buck we had seen. I heard they killed quite a few on the last day of the hunt as it was raining , I'm guessing that was the ticket to get them moving lol

Awesome! Sounds like you did great! To be a 100% honest this unit did go down but it's still a great hunt and yep that's exactly what it is... A HUNT! You really can't expect to just Willy nilly go out for a cruise and kill a bruiser that's just not the way it works. Heard of a lot of decent bucks that came from this hunt and you are a shining example that 2B is still worth an app.

Please post pictures sir I would love to see

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom