UNIT 2B

Roughneck

I want to know if unit 2b is still the best unit to hunt for big mule deer in New Mexico? I was talking to a buddy, that said unit 2b isn't what it used to be. Is this true or is it still a prim unit for big mule deer.I want to put in for this unit next year and want it to be worth the trip from South East New Mexico.if I get lucky and draw it. If any one has a pic post so I can see it. Thank

2B is great if weather hits S. Colorado and Jicarria early. Hunting resident deer decreases your odds immensely up there. NM produces some Giant Bucks in places you would not ever believe they live.

Yea, I would love to hunt in Colorado. I just don't see my self buying a out of state tags. I would like to try someghing different and I have never hunted up north and was wanting to give it a try. From what I understand 2b is the unit to hunt. Just wanted to ark around.

So what you really want know so that you can make an informed decision, is some detail of WHY is 2B considered by some publications to be the greatest MD unit in New Mexico.

Are there 35-inchers lounging in the shade under every other juniper? All year long? (hint: no)

While there are a few resident studs up there all year long, the goo-ga-ga over 2B is mostly about the 6.5 million Colorado deer that snowbird to NM when the snow gets too white in Colorado. The migration paths are actually very well known, but the timing each year depends on the snow pack. If southern Colorado gets 50 inches of snow in September, 2B is a killing field starting in October. If southern Colorado only gets 2 inches of snow in late January - 2B is a lonely place to hunt ghosts. Oh, and the western US is smack dab in the middle of a 50-year drought.

Now, are you going to apply for the 30% chance to draw bow tag in October or the 5% chance to draw rifle tag in November?

Give a man a little luck and anything will do for brains (Albert Soady).

I think it's worth the drive from south central Texas where I'm from. My partners and I have put in for 2B exclusively since 2010. It's a fun hunt that is different from what we're used to. We have never killed any toads, but I like the fact that the possibility is there.

Best of luck, 2b can be fantastic 1 out of 20 yrs. However , there ARE resident buck there that are Toads. It's a long shot but doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Jic bucks are close and the genetics in that area are solid.

>My buddy and I want to
>try the second rifle hunt.
>
>??

That's the one we drew this year. I'll be sure to post a report.

Hell man thanks.I drew 27 this year hoping to get a thumper there. In a few weeks wife and I are heading out to go set game camera's.

There used to be allot of deer in unit 2B and genetically they have what it takes to get big. It definitely is not the unit of years past and there are other units in N.M.that produce amazing bucks. Unit 16 above the cliff dwellings has had some of the biggest bucks I have consistantly seen in recent years but, my pick to harvest a book buck would be unit 53. The real key to find giant deer is to spend time in the hills with them. 2B does get allot of attention and is a great late archery hunt but I would not say it is the best unit the state has to offer.

Nice that's info thanks.I will be looking at them other units. Also has the oil field messed up 2b?I know it's messed up here in unit 31. Roads and people everywhere you go.

When I was in 2B in 2011 there was oil field activity everywhere. When I went back in 2014 there was hardly any. I guess we'll see what 2016 looks like.

+1 on unit 53. I saw the biggest deer I have ever seen during my BHS hunt. It is a B**CH to get back in there, but man there were some real toads (at least back then). At that time I saw numerous bucks in the 160's, a few 170-180 bucks, and two that were easily over 200". We actually threw a stalk on those two 200"+ bucks since it was open for bow at that time. We watched them through the spotter for about an hour then stalked in on them for about 3 hours. They let me and my brother-in-law get to about 200 yards and then hi tailed it for Canada. On their way out the big one hit his horns between two rocks. I hiked up to those rocks and stuck my 29" arrow in between them and still had another 8" or 9" of play. The "small" one was a easy 30" buck and the big one was pushing 37-38".

I went back the next year with the rifle and couldn't find a big buck to save my butt. They are above tree line and easy to spot during the bow hunt, but really hard to find after they move into the timber for the rifle hunt.

All the same this would be where I would hunt if my back wasn't in the poor shape it is in now.

Dont bother with 53 have hunted it my whole life... No big deer here... To Steep and Nasty.To Many Lions.To many beer cans on the roads. Stick with 2b/2c LOL Good Luck
Jack

>Nice that's info thanks.I will be
>looking at them other units.
>Also has the oil field
>messed up 2b?I know it's
>messed up here in unit
>31. Roads and people everywhere
>you go.

31 my Freind has some Monsters roaming. No doubt you know that if you live there . I'm stunned every year to see pics of bucks harvested in the sand / mesquite country .

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-16 AT 06:18AM (MST)[p]If you are seeing beer cans and roads in 53 you are entirely in the wrong place, but that goes for most anywhere. You are not going to find the bucks I am talking about from a road. To get to where the big bucks are at in 53 will take a minimum of one day hard hiking away from the closet road. Hell right now it would take me two days to get back there and that's if I don't stroke out prior to getting there. This would be a total backpack hunt.

To get to where I am talking about you have to hike to the last spot where you see a hairy legged, granola eating, semi-lesbo chick, and then hike another mile and a half over one of the nastiest ridges in NM to the Vallecito Mtn / South Fork Peak area. If you can find a beer can back there I would be amazed.

+1 for sure ! There's no deer in 16.

>RR Snake
>You missed my point... And easy
>with the directions. No need
>to put a X on
>the map.LOL
>Jack

I have hunted 2b several times. Here is the problem with 2b. It doesn't necessarily require a lot of snow. The deer migrate even without the snow. The problem is is that for years there have been too many tags given for the herd. Not just in New Mexico, but the deer are hunted in colorado starting with the bow hunts. Then they rifle, then the indians take a crack as they cross the reservation and then they begin piling into 2b. They have the genetics, but as the oil fields and over hunting have put too much pressure on the herd, the age class has dropped and it is very difficult to kill a Boone and Crockett buck if not nearly impossible. Occasionally it does still happen, but if you go into the hunt expecting bigger than 170 inches you will probably be disappointed. It really reminds me of hunting deer in a general season hunt in Utah in the 90s. Lots of hunters, tons of 2 points running around and the occasional 150 to 160 inch 4 point running like hell to get into a thicket. Until the fish and game changes the tag allotment it is difficult to see the hunt improving much in terms of size. When on the hunt you will see a lot of new mexicans that are tickled pink to kill a 2 X2 and thats what most of them have hanging in a tree. So it is hard to argue with the wildlife managers, most hunters are happy killing a meat buck. Its just not a hunt I would recommend paying out of state fees and out of state travel and hunting time and expenses when you would have a much more successful hunt for the money that you would spend if you are a trophy hunter in a different unit or state. Just my .02c. Now there are a few outfitters that can spend the time and find you one of the few resident bucks in there, but they book up fast and can really only find 1 or 2 bucks of trophy caliber. Could try horn reapers they are a small outfitter that cater to 1 on 1 hunts for trophies. Be leary of the ones that take a lot of hunters, just aren't that many big bucks to go around. Good Luck
T

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom