Unit 2C NM

Charay

Hello,
I drew 2C Archery and hoping someone can provide some areas to try in this unit. I'm not familiar with this unit. Any help greatly appreciated.

Raymond

I drew 2C archery January tag also. I am going solo good luck. I am going to try and scout a few days in December due to my son drawing 2A youth rifle tag. Depends on if he gets one early.

From a mental perspective, it is an extremely difficult hunt. You can go 5 days and not see a single buck. The unit definitely has some big deer, but the chances of killing one with a bow is very low.

2C has plenty of deer , tho at times it can be tough to find them....It is NM big buck unit for sure and I wished there were more tags for this unit, there are alot of big 3x3 and big 2x2 buck genes, I wished more hunters would take...But I get it , big buck unit so people hold out usually....Make sure you have a good reliable 4x4,chains and a shovel, if that dirt gets any moisture in it becomes a monster...Its an amazing unit you should have a great hunt...

Wish 2B was the same as 2C, why do they put out so many tags on 2B but so little on 2C ? I get the thinking of 2C being managed for a trophy area, but why couldnt 2B could be the same?

>Wish 2B was the same as 2C, why do they put out so many tags on 2B >but so little on 2C ? I get the thinking of 2C being managed for a >trophy area, but why couldnt 2B could be the same?

Why... Simple Money to G&F... 2C is mostly a resident herd, 2B gets a lot of migratory Deer from CO.

Cosmic is spot on! As those deer are primarily migratory deer from Colorado, they will either get harvested in Colorado before they make it to 2B, get harvested in 2B when do they migrate out of Colorado and return to Colorado if they make it out of 2B. You can't manage a deer herd that is not resident and primarily migratory.

Feel sorry for all the Jan bow hunters in 2b. Now that they moved the youth hunt to smack dab in the middle of the rut. There will be zero big bucks left in Jan. Would be good to have a youth tag this year that's for sure.

Not sure that will be the case since most deer hunted in Jan are migratory.

The only big bucks that will be shot by kids have a dad or uncle with an ego the size of Alaska...

**Why... Simple Money to G&F... 2C is mostly a resident herd, 2B gets a lot of migratory Deer from CO.**

Thanks, it makes perfect sense.

So,in area 2B is there a chance to find a decent resident buck ?

I hunted 2B last year late Oct. hunt. I found what I thought to be 2 resident bucks in 2 different areas both were loners both were mature but both had sub par head gear, could that have been from the past few years of no rain ? genetics? neither had 4x4 head gear, more like big 3x3 and 3x2 antlers. It is a high desert but I did not see anything that I would consider Lush vegetation something a migratory deer would probably find more easy up higher in the mountain or lower in the valley.

I really think last year was just an off dry year with not so good antler growth, maybe this year it will be better, IDK ? Fingers X'd

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom