Unit 33 Mule Deer Advice

Millerju

Hope everyone is having a successful hunting season.
Was hoping for any advice or some direction on places to hunt muleys in unit 33. (Public Ground) With all the rain is anyone seeing larger bucks?
Will be hunting the 2nd rifle season the week of Thanksgiving.

Im not afraid to burn some boot leather and have quality optics.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome. I've heard mixed results on that tag. I don't know if the rut is starting to kick in yet or not. Maybe someone who knows the units dynamics will pipe up. Good luck and post pic of success.

Find a "tall" sand dune and put your glass to work. Be patient and walk more than drive when you find a good area. You'll see more deer walking than driving.

Just got back from first rifle. Grew up 10 miles from the unit, so we know the country really good. Tough hunt, we scouted the 4 days prior to the hunt and hunted hard the entire 5 days. On the last morning, we finally found a buck that was worth shooting. He scored just under 150" and was by far the best buck we saw during the hunt and 4 days scouting. I believe we saw 14 bucks total with the majority being small forkies and 6pts and a couple real small 8 pts. Tons of water this year so the deer are really scattered and the bucks were extremely skittish the whole hunt (even the little dinks)! Make sure you have snake gaiters or boots if you plan on walking. We killed 13 rattlesnakes in the field on this hunt. The snakes are by far the worst I have ever seen them in 30 yrs out there. You will see rattlers if you walk, no doubt about it.

The unit holds some nice bucks, but they are few and far between and super smart. To kill a good deer out there this year with all the water, you pretty much have to get lucky and be in the right place at the right time. Good luck and watch out for snakes!

Thanks NMMuley
Looks like it will be a challenging hunt. I hunted there a few years ago and was a lot dryer and warmer.
Hope to get to go scout for a few days, haven't spent much time in the unit other than east of Roswell.. Hope to go more north and south.

Will make sure and bring my snake gaiters.
If you ever decide to hunt in Ks, Mo or Co let me know.

Reviving this thread.. I have a rifle antelope and archery mule deer hunt in 33 this year. Any success?
Also are the rattlers rally that bad out there? planning to do some summer scouting and with two hunts in the same unit, I am looking to invest in some snake boots / gaiters and maybe a snake gun

Reviving this thread.. I have a rifle antelope and archery mule deer hunt in 33 this year. Any success?
Also are the rattlers rally that bad out there? planning to do some summer scouting and with two hunts in the same unit, I am looking to invest in some snake boots / gaiters and maybe a snake gun
I grew up not far from there and have been all over that unit. Lots of snakes. Antelope will be fairly easy. Archery mule deer in there will be tough. I would study OnX and Gaia a ton to learn where you can be. As said above, some of the ranchers are worse than the rattlesnakes. Good luck.

Hello,

Just wanted to follow up and post about my hunts - I always see alot of questions but never any follow ups. Not going to be name dropping any specific spots - i am not looking to burn these units just provide help to those luckily enough to draw

Antelope Unit 33 (2nd rifle?)

Tons of antelope, pretty much all over the unit. Moderate sized bucks generally were intermixed with does. Large Bucks near pressured areas (within 30 minutes of roswell) generally were not doed up due to hunting pressure. good luck sneaking up on them, best advice is to practice and practice some more with your rifle to as far as you can take it in windy conditions. get away from the roads and you will see bigger bucks with does. A bipod or a tripod even was great help on this hunt. I did tag out, not on the biggest buck I saw but a decent first antelope that was an easy kill after busting several larger bucks farther from the road. There is a reason this unit is highly demanded. its only 3 days and this would be a great hunt to bring a first timer along with as its action packed but short with high success rate.

Unit 33 Archery Mule deer september

This is my first real mule deer hunt and first real archery hunt. Did not tag out but only spent about ~6 days hunting. It was very hot, and the deer are only active for about 1 hour after sunrise and then about 1 hour before sunrise maybe. the mornings I saw more movement. Find a spot with more cover, some water nearby if possible, and "hilly" terrain. If you are seeing a ton of antelope, its probably not a good deer spot in my opinion. Glass Glass Glass. I had a mid grade quality spotting scope and 12x40 binos. Get a good setup that allows you to glass comfortably and gets a good view of the terrain. The deer are alot more skittish of human interaction (oil Workers) than the antelope. It was a bit of a wetter year, so plenty of green shrubs for them to hide in, and there was no point in sitting over water. Strategy would be to try and find a buck moving in the morning and follow him to his bed, attempt a stalk if he is in bad placement or wait for him to get up and already be in a position to intercept. Small and moderate bucks were grouped up, the one monster I saw on 3 occasions was never with another deer (dont bother asking where hes at - in my mind I am drawing this tag next year). During the times I would see deer in the evening, they would cover a large amount of ground quickly despite not being spooked - pretty much impossible to intercept if not already in position. I was not able to spot deer bedded during the day except for one doe that was fairly close - honestly best advice would be to pracive with your bow during the day and take some naps at the hotel (way too hot to camp). Having a buddy to help glass would have been useful on this hunt. Low pressure hunt in my opinion - saw one other hunter in the field the entire time.

Didnt see any rattlers but they are out there. It was sort of a wetter year and alot of the roads actually were decently mudded up. 4wd with AT's handled it all- but be careful driving at night, many roads are pitted out to the point of basically impassable due to water erosion causing shelfs of dirt to build up and potentially expose huge oil pipes that will ruin you and your vehicle. Carry a ton of water on you and in your vehicle, its insanely hot out there and even the antelopes were bedding down during the heat of the day.

If aynone has any other questions about the unit just reply, cant really address the later season hunts. If anyone from cannon AFB sees this, DM me and lets plan a hunt together

Cant believe I drew the mind November rifle tag for this unit. But if anyone has any tips for 33 rifle, feel free to pass them along

Cant believe I drew the mind November rifle tag for this unit. But if anyone has any tips for 33 rifle, feel free to pass them along
This hunt is not the same as it has been in years past . My dad had this tag last year and we saw one mid 160 shooter he was the only forked horn buck we saw all trip. Mind you we have hunted this unit several times over the last ten years. Take a look at the hsitorical harvest data . Was fantatisc up until 2 years ago then succes dropped off like a rock.
My guess two fold , drought and hunters literally shooting every fork they see. The deer dont have a chance to mature couple that with bad fawn recruitment and the age class has gone to hell. Again this is comiong from someone who has been in and hunted with someone in this unit for the last 8 years at least. Was fantastic but the last two years have been terrible . Not trying to be a downer but this has been my exp . Spoke to the warden about it and he advised the same unit is going through its natural down cycle as we speak.

thanks for the reply. I am only about 2 hours away from the unit so should have time to scout and maybe find a decent buck. Itll be my first mule deer rifle hunt so I am just hoping to find success

thanks for the reply. I am only about 2 hours away from the unit so should have time to scout and maybe find a decent buck. Itll be my first mule deer rifle hunt so I am just hoping to find success
The terrain is challangeing to learn and understand. The deer have so many hiding places and are mostly nocturnal. Im willing to help with information but this is not a slam dunk like it used to be for big deer.

The terrain is challangeing to learn and understand. The deer have so many hiding places and are mostly nocturnal. Im willing to help with information but this is not a slam dunk like it used to be for big deer.
I apprecciate it. I had the september archery tag last year (never again) and I managed to find about 4 bucks, always during the first 1 hour after sunrise or 1 hour before sunset. I noticed that the smaller bucks were grouped up, and the big one was solo. How does their behavior change during november? Do these southern mule deer rut by then?
The bucks I saw were usually spotted within 3 to 4 hundred yards of some does, and a bit higher in elevation (if a doe was in a flat, then the buck was on a nearby ridge)
I was surprised to see these bucks honestly pretty far from a water source, but I would lose them as they went to their bedding spot as glassing in the 95 degree heat was impossible

Have hunted it a couple times as well. Water is surprisingly not the localizing factor you would expect it to be in a unit like that. If you scout, take a yote caller and wail on the predators - not that it will help much in the grand scheme of things. Never have I ever seen a coyote population that dense.

I apprecciate it. I had the september archery tag last year (never again) and I managed to find about 4 bucks, always during the first 1 hour after sunrise or 1 hour before sunset. I noticed that the smaller bucks were grouped up, and the big one was solo. How does their behavior change during november? Do these southern mule deer rut by then?
The bucks I saw were usually spotted within 3 to 4 hundred yards of some does, and a bit higher in elevation (if a doe was in a flat, then the buck was on a nearby ridge)
I was surprised to see these bucks honestly pretty far from a water source, but I would lose them as they went to their bedding spot as glassing in the 95 degree heat was impossible

Have hunted it a couple times as well. Water is surprisingly not the localizing factor you would expect it to be in a unit like that. If you scout, take a yote caller and wail on the predators - not that it will help much in the grand scheme of things. Never have I ever seen a coyote population that dense.
last year when I was out in 33 for the antelope hunt, i Had never seen so many yotes during daylight. Definitely would like to go out and practice my longer range shooting. I wish we could hunt public land at night with thermals, I have a suppressor and thermal setup that should knock the coyotes down. Though Based on my understanding of the laws, you can use a thermal during daytime but I am unsure how effective that would be

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom