Unit 34 Deer

N

NM_Muley_Hunter

From those of you familiar with this unit...I'm just wondering a couple of things about the deer population. For some background, I've hunted the 1st or 2nd deer rifle hunt (and a couple of elk hunts) for the past 10 years in this unit. We keep going back because it's a family tradition thing, and we've got a cabin up there that my grandfather built 50 years ago. I've hunted and scouted in almost every part of the unit (even as far off of the roads as possible).

Over the years, I've seen a handful of what I would consider truly respectable bucks (mature bucks - probably 5 years old or older, with spreads outside of the ears and well developed racks). Most of them I've seen while driving around during the rut (late December). I have not really seen or known anyone that has shot a truly respectable buck out of the unit. I've only seen one during the rifle season, and he was 100 yards on the other side of the private property line.

I've picked up deer sheds all over the unit, and the largest I've found would have scored about 155. Most of them are 3 points, or small 4 points.

I went scouting up there last weekend (camped a couple of miles from the road) and it was more of the same.

I know the unit is not managed for trophy quality on deer. I think there's just too many tags given out for that. Still, I think I should have seen more mature bucks over the years.

What are your thoughts on the deer population? And have any of you seen someone else shoot a good, respectable buck (especially on public land), or have any of you taken such a buck in this unit?

I'm really only asking out of curiosity. Either way, I'm planning on hunting some other units (and other states) for deer in the future.

Thanks...

Saw 2 bucks tonight while scouting for bulls. both 22" 4x4s.

For around here its pretty good.

Very few high scoring bucks in this unit. Found a couple of winter kills last few years and even the old bucks not really that big.

The Jan archery season is fun and thats when you see the decent bucks for the most part.

That country has never been known for big mule deer bucks going way back to our grandpa's day (back when all units in NM were managed in the exact same manner- over the counter- you get what you get) And you describe seeing 5-6 year old bucks that just don't get monsterous racks. In San Juan or Rio Arriba Counties a 5-6 year old buck is very likley to tickle the record books. Biologists often preface any discussion of genetic potential by reiterasting the importance of nutrition: growing season, forage species composition etc, BUT While elk in that country aren't on the same tier as the bulls of the Gila, there are some very fine bulls coming out of that country on a regular basis.- I think nutritional availability down there is as good as anywhere in the state.

In short- I just don't think deer down there have a very good potential for growing big racks. I'm not sure if any different harvest strategies is ever going to change that. That issue has been tackled by biologists in some circumstances. Some Indian reservations and ClassA (tall fence) operations have tried importing large bucks/bulls to insert antler genetics but on the large scale it's not feasible and is usually concidered a bad idea biologically to artificially tinker with things like that (kinda like the better the Labrador blood line the worse the hip displacement problems)

If you're looking for a WarPig buck, I'd say you just need to be looking somewhere else- Not that 34 won't produce the occational 8 year old boomer.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z6/tmbrlinewarden/MM banners/JohnQPubicbanner1.jpg

Over the years I have seen several deer that would go 150-170 however they have all been in timbered areas where it is very difficult to find them except by accident. Personally I think the unit would be much better for deer hunting if the forest was in better condition (ie thinned). Like you say though there are not just a lot of truley big deer in the unit.

Here is a picture of one we saw 3 weeks ago up above Cox canyon
46d2df3f70cb0615.jpg

Thats a good unit 34 buck. Last 2 nights while scouting for bulls I have been watching a buck that is not as wide but taller.

I have an archery tag but was counting on the jan season. This buck is in a stalkable area.

Tough choice to try to move on him or a big bull.

Here are few pictures of a buck my buddy and I killed during the 2nd rifle hunt in Unit 34 in 2005. He was 27" wide and had a couple cheaters of each antler,however the photos don't really show the cheaters.

46e74c834e74273e.jpg

46e74c994ea65e57.jpg

46e74cb14ed563ce.jpg

MBBGH

I agree...that is the best unit 34 buck I've seen on the ground. Definitely one to be proud of...

And thanks for all of the input from everyone.

The area that buck (above post) was killed in had quite a bit of bug kill Pinon/Juniper, not a burn area. Here are a couple more photos I had. This is a Sept. 2005 archery buck I couldn't pass up. I certainly saw and got on bigger deer than this one, however he gave me the best shot opportunity I just couldn't pass on.

46e8a28a2a447555.jpg

46e8a2ae2ac855da.jpg

46e8a2e22ba3a714.jpg

MBBGH

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom