Unit 34 New Hunter

Solid18

I'm a new hunter. This is my first year hunting. I have a rifle anterless elk tag. Was just wondering if it's a difficult hunt in this unit and if anyone can give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it. I have been to the unit to scout around and have seen elk but know they probably won't be where I found them once my hunt starts.

Cow hunts can be tough. By the time they roll around, there has been a hunt going on almost continuously since August. Elk have been pushed hard and they are back in places that are not as accessible.
Prior to the hunts, and even through October you can see them just driving around, but, I have seen to many people basing their hunt on what they saw earlier in the year and go home cow less.
They are there. Plan on doing some hiking and glassing. Burns are good spots to start. There will always be a few that get lucky just driving, but, those 5 days can go by real quick.

>Cow hunts can be tough.
>...go home
>cow less.
>They are there. Plan on
>doing some hiking and glassing.
> Burns are good spots
>to start. There will always
>be a few that get
>lucky just driving, but, those
>5 days can go by
>real quick.

This is sage advice. I ate cow tags the last 2 years after seeing elk everywhere year-round the prior 10 years.

Part of the reason I was unsuccessful was because I saw elk but didn't hunt them like I would have a bull (cautiously aggressive). I assumed I would see a ton more in all my usual spots, but they were no where to be found.

I can assure you those tags tasted like $&@? !!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom