Unit 35,35,45 3rd Season

O

OregonCoast

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-08 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-08 AT 10:11 PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-08 AT 10:11 PM (MST)

I also posted in the Mule Deer thread............just looking for folks to chat with about the high country north of Eagle. I am very excited about my first out of state muley hunt. thanks for any info. Let me know if I can be of help regarding hunting in Oregon. thanks, Mark.

oooops. I tried to edit but I couldn't change the topic info......
It should read: Unit 35,36,45.... Mark.

You may have picked the wrong year for those gmu's. The past winter was horrendous from Steamboat, South to Eagle Valley (hwy 70) and beyond. I hunted Utah in 84 after a similar winter and there were a few bucks that survived but few and far between. Hopefully, you will find a couple that made it thru the winter. Good luck

It'll be a good hunt. There will be people everywhere, mostly elk hunters. Most people hunt the fence lines around the private property.....because there are some good animals on the private property.
There are BIG deer in those units, you just have to be the lucky one to kill one of them. Scouting is always a plus.
There are some spots you can hike long and hard to and get away from many of the people, and find a few mature bucks.
Good luck!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Thanks guys. Total Tags for these 3 units last year was 770. This year they cut 450...........leaving 320 total. Plus they cut the elk tags down a bit too............I hear this is an area with a lot of pressure but with the tag cuts, it should help thin out the hunters. Also last year it was a split season.....2nd and 3rd. This year it is only 3rd season. I can't wait. Thanks again in advance for everyone's replys. Mark.

They may have cut cow tags, but bull tags are OTC for those units. From my experience it is a really crowded hunt. I also don't quite understand what you mean about there being only a 3rd season rather than a split 2nd and 3rd? They have both a 2nd and 3rd season for mule deer, and in those units each season has a specific quota for tags #'s right? Anyhow, good luck, it is pretty country even if deer numbers are down. I took these photos in that unit a couple years ago during the 3rd season.

leftforseedb.jpg

leftforseeda.jpg

Dax

Take a pair of hip waders, or a way to cross the river. Like has been mentioned alot of hunters. You have to find ways to get a way from the people. The north end of 35 is hard to access because of the river. If you are willing to cross you can have some areas to yourself.

>They may have cut cow tags,
>but bull tags are OTC
>for those units. From
>my experience it is a
>really crowded hunt. I
>also don't quite understand what
>you mean about there being
>only a 3rd season rather
>than a split 2nd and
>3rd? They have both
>a 2nd and 3rd season
>for mule deer, and in
>those units each season has
>a specific quota for tags
>#'s right? Anyhow, good
>luck, it is pretty country
>even if deer numbers are
>down. I took these
>photos in that unit a
>couple years ago during the
>3rd season.
>
>
leftforseedb.jpg

>
leftforseeda.jpg

>
>Dax

Nice Buck Daxter...................You are right......not sure what I was looking at. 2nd and 3rd season as usual......still less hunters though........and cow elk tags cut....not bull tags. Mark.

Bragabit-Not so good advice. The Colorado is a BIG river. If you're going to try to use waders to cross the river, they will fill up with water and you might drown. That is unless your 8 feet tall and "strong like bull."

i second that! you can sneak across the railroad tracks that cross the river . i don't know if it is legal or not on our scouting trip we saw some fisherman using the bridge to cross over.

I had some buddies that swore they watched some elk walk across with out touching their bellies in the water, so they figured they could ride their horses across no problem. Lets just say, they ended up spending that chilly November morning trying to dry out and warm up rather than hunting. It took a couple days for their chaps and tack to fully dry.

Dax

You guys are right. You have to pick your spots carefully. The river is big dangerous and cold. I have crossed it before and it made for good hunting. You can walk across the railroad tracks and access some of the country. The problem is some of the best spots to hunt are 10 miles from any place to cross by road or track. Like I said before with so many people out hunting this hunt if you want to be successful sometimes you have to do things other people are not willing to do. I have seen people use a little rubber raft to get accross as well. Most people are not willing to cross that is why it is some of the best hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-08 AT 11:33PM (MST)[p]I heard a story about a hunting party that crossed a river in a canoe. They hunted all day, only to come back to a missing canoe! The hunting party searched for their canoe to no avail, only to find horse tracks at the stash spot. They deducted that their canoe went on a Mississippi boat ride without them! Be careful, better off to be 8 ft and "Strong like bull" as buckspy suggests.

yote

I'd imagine they were some pretty pissed off hunters!! I don't understand why someone would do that. That is just stupid.

Steve

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom