Unit 36 Elk

You’re in for a treat brotha! Best elk hunting experience I’ve ever had was in 36! If you can hit the 300 mark you did great! There are bigger bulls , in my experience they’re deep in the wilderness where they can get old and come off that reservation! Either way you’re going to have a blast!

Great tag, love that area.

Guided or DIY? Holding out for a big boy or looking for an opportunity?

I’m going guided, I met Jerry Blake from LOH Outfitters some years ago when he helped my twin boys on a mule deer hunt. I have been trying to draw a tag for the last 4 years! I hope to hold out for a 300 bull, but bigger would be ok too!! I have never shot a bull with my bow.

How'd your 36 hunt go last year. I drew a 1st season tag this year as a 3rd choice. Hope they are bugling! I have a friend that's hunted it a couple times and it gonna be tagging along to help me as I've not hunted NM but pretty excited.

Man that’s unfortunate hntnfool. I drew the first hunt this year, if they weren’t talking on the second hunt I imagine the first hunt was even worse. Did you guys at least see a lot of elk?? I’m looking forward to my hunt regardless and I’m ready to start my scouting asap.

I've hunted that unit once for elk and twice for deer all rifle and scouted a few times in Sept.

IMO, the 7500-8500' band and water is where it's at for that time of year. Lot's of people on that hunt but lots of room to spread out plus two weeks means very few people at times.

I've hunted that unit once for elk and twice for deer all rifle and scouted a few times in Sept.

IMO, the 7500-8500' band and water is where it's at for that time of year. Lot's of people on that hunt but lots of room to spread out plus two weeks means very few people at times.
This is very true! Last year was talking to people who weren’t hearing bulls at all and we. We’re in screaming bulls every day for first season. Hell first season had more bulls bugling in my son’s unit than second season, bulls were already broken missing antlers by September 1st.
Get where the elk are not bothered and they’ll be singing. A lot easier said than done.

This is very true! Last year was talking to people who weren’t hearing bulls at all and we. We’re in screaming bulls every day for first season. Hell first season had more bulls bugling in my son’s unit than second season, bulls were already broken missing antlers by September 1st.
Get where the elk are not bothered and they’ll be singing. A lot easier said than done.
Ya we have had great bugling action two years in a row on the first hunts but on the other side of the state. Hoping we encounter the same kind of action but we shall see, like you said, get where the elk aren’t bothered. Lucky for me it’s only a 2 hour drive to the mountain so I’ll be up there most of the summer with the kiddos scouting, camping and fishing.

Ya we have had great bugling action two years in a row on the first hunts but on the other side of the state. Hoping we encounter the same kind of action but we shall see, like you said, get where the elk aren’t bothered. Lucky for me it’s only a 2 hour drive to the mountain so I’ll be up there most of the summer with the kiddos scouting, camping and fishing.
Now that’s a killer situation to be in! Can’t beat that!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom