Unit 39

freebird63

I am quite dumbfounded this year as there are not even half the hunters I normally see in unit 39, is it because of all the fires?? Or have they started hunting other general units? I know as per usual I am not seeing that many or any deer up there. Less then a week to go do I hang it up or keep on trying???
Sure would love to have some fresh venison in the freezer.

Chuck in Boise

I'll tell you this much, based on reports from family and friends, they are invading neighboring units and they are over flowing with hunters.

One bad note: My bud cut fresh wolf tracks in central Idaho and bumped them off of a herd of Doe's and Fawns by accident. Never had a shot at them. In the Central area, deer have been few and far between. Heavy wolf country.

Freebird63,

Get your azz back up there! My buddy and I ran up to Idaho City on Thursday to one of our honey holes and I came back with several observations.

1. There was darn near a foot of snow on top of the mountain and that is more than we have seen in a long time for this time of year

2. There was noone else up there

3. The deer were definitely already migrating down

4. We saw more deer in our area than we have ever seen before and more decent bucks. I would say, I easly saw 60-75 does and 10-12 bucks and most of the bucks 3 pt or better (no real wall hangers, but respectable)

5. Most of the deer were about 250 - 500 verticle feet above the snow line (although we did hear some shots in the distance ... below us quite a ways).

We ended up taking two bucks, my buddy shot a decent 3x4 in a hell hole (that we needed to go get the horses to get out) and I shot a small 4x4 because it was easy to get out.

Don't be discouraged ... get back out there.

Good luck

Just would like to let you know that i was in unit 39 on sat the 27th,the deer are definitly there!saw at least 50-60 does and fawns,past on 7 small1 and 2 points,heard at least 40 to 50 shots around me.If your willing to hike a ways im sure you can find a buck,if your road hunting maybe not.

I got up there today and I guess the word must have gotten out because there were so many people up there and a few of those must have been lousy shots, one guy shot 4 times, another shot 3 times and another shot 3 times. Having major back problems I really over did it. It took me 2 hours just to hike back to the rig. I have to make one more trip up there because I forgot my under armor gloves, hope there still there on Tuesday. I was only at the 4100 foot level. But did see lots of deer tracks......maybe hope for me yet.

Chuck in Boise

On Monday I was well above the snow, saw no hunters or no game. I am beginning to think maybe I have oldtimers disease and can't remember what a deer looks like......lol

Chuck in Boise

Well, I found a decent, tall racked 4X4 in the first 5 minutes of my hunt and blew the stalk. After that, all I could find was forkies and I passed on 8 of them...looking for another 4X4...no dice.

They came through in mass last Thursday/Friday right after the big snow. There deer are there, look low.
The buck I shot this last Saturday was very in the rut.

The area I was in I did see lots of deer tracks and no human tracks. Heard lots of shooting not real close. Was considering heading up to James creek road, but I think I will stay lower. I think everyone is right the deer are moving down, well except for big old trophy's, they hang out until their hormones can't take it and then they are real stupid.

Chuck in Boise

One of my honey holes, which is really just an easy access place to bring the kids, was blocked by a brand new gate saying "NO PUBLIC ACCESS." I love using my tax dollars to bottle up more public land.

I hiked up another drainage and found plenty of deer. Nothing big enough to shoot though. Lots of shooting.

I was starting to think maybe I forgot what a deer looked like, but I blew a stalk on a doe this morning, was hoping there was a buck near by, but no deal. Then I noticed another hunter about 400 yards below me, next thing I know he's laid out asleep and up on the ridge about 200 yards from him were 2 does. Tomorrow is make or break time. Wish me luck.

Chuck in Boise

freebe, ya better get ya one of them long distance shooters with terrets an all, and a damn good range finder. Have a friend that can do some serious damage out to 1500yds, you need to catch up with the times man. And make sure ya have a wolf tag or 2 when ya go!!!

Bye the way I had several nice bucks tied up for ya but it woulda been along way to drive for ya so I let'em go, hopefully they'll make it through the rest of the onslaught to grow larger for next year. Shoot straight!!!

You mean to tell me we got woofs in Ideho???? taint seen one yet. Guess I better retire that 280 Ackley and get a real gun. I hear they sell them at the trading post on the way to McCall. I might oughta hire a grunt to pack that thing. Headin out the door right now. Wish me luck....or its tag soup this winter.....yuck

Chuck in Boise

I think IDFG needs to pull their heads outta their arse. After this season I won't hunt unit 39 again. I talked to so many people that were disappointed with the lack of deer they seen. I think all the people I seen fishing in arrowrock had it right.

Chuck in Boise

>I think IDFG needs to pull
>their heads outta their arse.
> After this season I
>won't hunt unit 39 again.
> I talked to so
>many people that were disappointed
>with the lack of deer
>they seen. I think
>all the people I seen
>fishing in arrowrock had it
>right.
>
>Chuck in Boise

Chuck - I don't know where you went in unit 39, but I don't know that I've ever seen as many deer in the unit as this year... and different parts of the unit as well. Initial harvest reports were that success rates for the unit were up 25% after the first two weekends of the general season. Sorry to hear you had tag soup, but it also seemed like you did more complaining on here than hunting.

Sorry that it seemed I complained alot. Being disabled really puts me a a disadvantage. I would have loved been able to afford to go out more. Sure did see lots of elk hunters heading up today. I mainly hunt up around cottonwood ranger station and up towards thorn creek lookout. Had thought about going up to James creek road.
But any kinda hiking really does me in and will admit I was never graced with the ability of staying up right and dam those falls hurt. Ain't no spring chicken anymore. Thanks for all the advice.

Chuck in Boise

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom