unit 4 WMA's for archery Elk ??

I just hunted the Sargent with a rifle. Yesterday was opener and my hunt was over in 20 minutes. Bow hunts were very tough this year. Late rut and only 3 elk taken during the second archery hunt. If you are out of state you will be putting in for only one or two tags alloted for each hunt for out-of-staters. Also, unless you are in very good shape, you WILL need horses. My legs and back are wondering why the hell I didn't use a horse yesterday... The days of the elk being close to the base-area during the hunts are over. If it's 290" to 310" bulls you want to look over with the occasional bull being a bit bigger this is a fun unit with a lot of nice 300" class bulls. The occasional 340"+ bull is harvested but this is the exception to the rule. There are some great guides that know this unit very well and that would be more than willing to get you in and get you into elk. You cannot camp within the unit so you are relegated to camping at the base parking area with everyone else and then packing/hiking in and out every day. Lots of elk and a fun hunt but the rut typically hits right after the archery hunts and just in time for the first rifle hunt.

Thanks for the info. I did see your write up. I'm just checking into other areas. I had no people problems in my unit this year. Certainly not the problems you had. In fact, I only saw one other hunter in the woods.
We did have one truck pull up behind us then back down the road 200 yards, get out and bugle. There was a herd 300 yards above him but they didn't bugle and he never left the road.
Not leaving the "safety" of the road seemed to be prevalent this year.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom