UNIT 41 HELP.

huntinguy

Been looking at area 41 as an out of state hunter wanting to start accumulating points and hunting in Colorado- the mecca.

Can anyone tell about the public land accessibility? Is there a fair amount? Looks like lots of forest?

Is it a good hunt for 2nd and 3rd seasons? Odds look fairly decent.

Pics of past bucks?

Thanks in advance

It used to have some good bucks,but since they started the 4th season buck hunt you are lucky to scrounge up a 24" basket horned 4 point.

Coloradoman, do you have any idea how many bucks have been killed in the 4th season in 41 in the last 5 years? The 4th season was implemented in 41 in 2006. The harvest:

2006: 6 bucks
2007: 0 bucks
2008: 3 bucks
2009: 3 bucks
2010: ?

So you're saying that the harvest of 12 bucks in 4 years has made all the difference in 41? It sounds like someone is just looking for an excuse.

So you believe those random surveys are accurate and truthful from the hunters...I know for a FACT in 2007 there were alot more than 0 KILLED...Beleive what you want and come check it out for yourself...

It's not just the 4th season buck tags but all of the 2nd and 3rd season doe tags that have hurt this untit badly... This is my backyard so no B.S. here...I have seen it diminish badly in the last few years....

See, that was my point. Everyone likes to point the finger at the 4th seasons without even considering that harvest in other seasons or that factors other than hunting might be having an influence. Fourth season harvest is very, very small in most units.

It's my backyard, too. Looking out the window at 41 as I type this.

I will vouch for the theory that it stinks. There are honey holes in it...but I surely haven't found any...unless you include the other side of the river from Palisade, right in the middle of the groves/orchards (all private land).

I ain't the best hunter, but I hunted 2 days in there this year and didn't even see a doe...unless you count the ones that I had to honk my horn at, so that I wouldn't hit them w/the van.

The unit is good as a last choice, in order to fill out the choices on your application, and not much more.

Everywhere that I wanted to hunt, had a car parked at it, except for the place that I hunted on about 9/13/01...it had a house. (100 yards from the BLM property line).

John 14:6

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-10 AT 03:00PM (MST)[p]Guys I appreciate all the input. Sounds like kind of a downer unit thus the easy draw odds I saw. How about other units by the Utah side? Units 411, 52, 421, 521, 42, 43? They look like like they have some good forest areas, true?

Ummm...I'm pretty sure that I just aknowleged that in my previous post..I didn't get it all in 1 post...my bad.

Cheers!

Lots of public land in all those units, most of it high and/or thick (hard to hunt effectively). Most of the deer will be on private by 3rd season. The best rifle hunting areas are mostly private or blocked by private and the accessible public land will be crowded, void of deer, or very difficult to hunt.

That being said I think any of those units can be fair to good if you aren't scared to have a few slow days.

Colorado may be the mecca, but it still takes work and luck to have a good hunt.

I live in 41 and hunt in 41. It has declined in quality dramatically compared to what it was ten years ago. That includes the private ground along the river, where I spend a bunch of time.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom