unit 43

Country

I have not hunted Idaho in many several years, but used to hunt unit 43. How is the deer population doing in that unit? I hear the wolves have definitely impacted the unit, but curious to hear the opinions from people who actually have hunted it. Used to be good hunting, would see quite a few bucks and have seen several big bucks killed there years ago.

Have hunted the unit a couple times the last couple years and have run into wolves each time out. Seen deer carcass' a few times too. There are still deer but population is down from the hay day. Definately take a wolf tag with you. I was never able to get within range of the critters but a couple buddies tagged three where I hunt last year.

I hunted it last year. Showed up three days early and did some scouting. First time in the unit, but not hard to find deer. Saw lots of bucks, but nothing over 165". Almost shot a knarly 28"+ 3x4 on opening morning, but let him walk. Steep, beautiful country.

I'd do it again.

JJ

Thanks for the feedback jjhunter! I always liked the country in that unit, steep but beautiful. If you don't mind sharing, what part of unit 43 were you in?

Since it is an OTC unit, I won't provide specifics. I will say that I found them up high, where the sage meets the timber and where they could hit those steep, timbered, north slopes in a couple of bounds.

Thanks for the info jjhunter, not looking for specifics as I would never ask for someone's spot, just looking for some general information, so much appreciated.

Hunted this unit.The deer are there but they get bowhunted in September pretty hard. Must be willing to get off roads a good 5-9 miles as there is alot of motorcycle and ATV trails in area. Canyons are wide and deep and when you see deer most of the time they are a mile away. A nice deer in this unit is 140-160".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom