Unit 44 ELK Sept 25th-Oct 10th

excaliber

I finally drew my first Elk tag here after 10 years of applying. I drew the Unit 44 Elk tag for Sept 25-Oct 10.

Has anyone hunted this unit before?
I was wondering if anyone has been in the unit since it burned and how badly it was burned?
What quality bulls will I likely be hunting?

After looking at the harvest numbers it looks like the unit is not close to what it once was before the Wolves.

I plan on spending quite a bit of time in there scouting in early to mid September.
I'll have a couple Wolf tags along in case I get lucky and see some.

If anyone has any info they'd be willing to share about hunting this unit, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Congrats on a great tag. I was along on two hunts in the past 8 years on that same hunt. Both were before the fire. We got into a lot of nice bulls, you will hear big numbers-like hold out for 360 or 380 plus but in reality I think anything over about 320 is a solid bull for that unit. PM me if you would like more specific info. Should be a fun hunt!

280-300" is the standard mature bull. If you find something above that you have done well. Most Bulls in this area have short dagger points. Top end burnt but will not be an concern

That unit used to be outstanding.

Bull11.jpg

Bull31.jpg

Congrats on a great tag! I drew the regular bull tag several years ago and took a 320 bull. We drew the buck tag in unit 44 this year. PM me if you would like more information in exchange for keeping an eye our for a big muley for me!

bulldown

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom