Unit 45 Elk Help

nmmuley

Guys,

I just found out that my brother drew the second rifle elk hunt in unit 45. We have never elk hunted in this unit. Any general areas or starting points that you could recommend would be greatly appreciated. I think we will probably try to backpack in a few miles off a trailhead depending on what info I start gathering. In return for any info, I can payback with elk info in 51 or 34, deer in 30, turkey northern NM, or public land barbary down south.

Thanks!

I have never gun hunted, but we muzzleload hunted this unit in 2006. We went in 5-8 miles and this was a good range. I think you should plan to go farther than a couple miles and have a packer lined up to pack your elk out. My recommendation is a minimum of 5 miles into the wilderness. Good luck and PM me if you have any additional questions.

WillPower

WillPower,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Do you by chance have a contact name or number for a packer in 45?

Thanks

We used bear creek adventures, but I don't think Eric is guiding or packing elk anymore. However here is his link and he may be able to give you some names. Huey is the other big outfitter in the area, but he may be booked up, maybe not though. Eric with Bear Creek can give you Hueys name or call the game warden. Sorry I can not remember his last name. Good guy and he about ##### when he saw my bull that I brought out of there in 06'. Anyhow, I would plan on being at least 5-8 miles deep, getting north of beatys cabin and into the padre area. Most all of the hunters will be on horses, so be prepared for this. Good luck on your hunt.

WillPower

http://www.bearcreekadventures.com/Contact_Us.asp

elk will be pretty stirred up by the 2nd rifle hunt so the farther in the better. An often overlooked area is the Santa Fe side of the Pecos wilderness. You can access it from the Santa Fe ski area. So many hunters on the Pecos side, it pushes elk over to the Santa Fe side. You'd be surprised the elk you see on this side of the mountain!

Thanks for the info, guys. Any thoughts or experience with the part of the unit around Santa Barbara? In particular, the trails that follow the east/middle/west forks of the Rio Santa barbara south as it heads toward Truchas and Chimayosas Peaks? I have turkey hunted in this area and usually find pretty heavy elk sign, just not sure what kind of pressure this area will receive.

nmmuley, I've got the 1st rifle and I'll PM you my cell phone number. Just call after the 15th. Figure we won't even pack out til the 15th unless we both fill.

NMMuley,

I was there during the muzzy hunt, so couple of the guys make good points about the elk being scattered, etc. I did not hunt the areas that you mentioned, but again, my area during the early muzz hunt probably will be alot different come the 2nd rifle, however feel free to PM me and I will share some of the specifics on the areas that we covered. Good luck with your hunt.

WillPower

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom