Unit 481 deer and elk?

H

homebru_trout

Drew unit 481 for both Muleys and (cow)Elk...second rifle. That get's me 48, 481, 56, 561 for Muleys.

Anybody have any info they can share? I'm fortunate enough to have a buddy who grew up in that area and another guy that shed hunts up there helping me out with my prep but just want to cover all my bases. Can't remember the name of the first option these guys gave me but Columbia is the second option I was given in 481. If I can fill the elk tag, I may drift up into 48 for Muley's if anyone makes a good case that it's necessary.

Already planning on hunting the rough country and I know you can pay heck getting in and out of some of those places. Been in the gym, on a bike, and running for just under a year prepping for this one.

Just found out the wildfile biologist and all of his years of knowledge of that area retired this year so I've got calls in to the Game Wardens.

Winterkill issues from last winter? Doesn't look like there'll be many private land issues...is this asusmption correct? Will be getting into the field to glass soon and 481 is a lot of N-S real estate so anything that helps me narrow my search would be appreciated.

Brian

So you are the one that drew my muley tag? My brother in law and I put in for muley tags and were 2 of the 53 that didn't draw.

I also put in for a cow tag and drew that. There are 4 of us with cow tags. I haven't hunted this unit before so I can't be much help, but the flat ground down next to Buena Vista is probably going to be crowded. We're planning on hunting in the high country, but don't have specific areas picked out yet. A few of us will be scouting the areas we narrow it down to starting on 10/15.

Ben

Yes, I admit it, I've got your Muley tag...I'll try not to let you down. Ironically enough, my buddy's family still lives there and 0 out of 7 of them drew.

Look at it this way, you locate one good herd and somebody shoots the lead cow and the other three of you tag out while the rest are looking around wondering who's in charge.

No surprises from the game warden...weather dependent, get away from the roads and people, etc. etc. But he did indicate 25% winterkill primarily on fawns and smaller and older bucks. Don't expect to see too many 2pts but that's not what we're after is it?

We'll be going high as well unless the snows hit. Typically it's a high country show in that unit from what I hear.

Good luck to you.

I live here in Buena Vista and that is not a bad deer tag. If you plan on getting away from the roads and trails you should have a good hunt.

Just to get you fired here are a couple of 481 bucks that I took pics of last winter here around the house. Just a idea of the bucks in the area. Most of these guys show up after Nov 1st..

Kinda new to posting pics so we will see how this goes.

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

Good luck and feel free to shoot me a pm if you are wondering about any specific areas.

Shot you one back. In exactly 6 weeks I'll be on the plane. I already have my backpack and hunting clothes packed and ready to go. If you can't tell I'm getting a little excited.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom