Unit 50-1

There were 6 of us that hunted out of Mackey for deer back in 2000....not one shot was fired....no bucks seen in our hunt there. Saw some Elk but no tags, go figure.
This was our first hunt there so that could have had something to do with it but we never even seen a legal buck when season was open. Lots of wolves in that area now....SSS.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

That was my number 1 unit for many years. I hunted there at least 40 days per year. I never saw a buck over 175 but I did see some old sheds that were impressive. It has been years since I hunted there but back then the deer population was not good. I always got deer and a few that were ok to pretty good. I shot plenty of elk there but wolves have changed that. Antelope used to be thick. When I was hunting there I never got a tag for antelope but the numbers were down. I think antelope have rebounded a bit from what I have heard.
I think I could still find elk there. It might take more time than the good old days. Once I took a friend to get a bull. I told him we would see a 6 point in less than an hour of hunting. He killed that bull but we let it bed before we went after him.
I have not hunted for elk there since the wolves pounded it. I hope it still has some elk. Ron

Thanks for the responses guys, wolves do mess with the elk but they don't chase them out of the state, I have grown up hunting 32,32A and all the surrounding units, you just have to deal with it because they aren't going anywhere.

Ron I could have written that same post myself. Killed my first buck in 50 bout 3 decades ago. Fantastic country that really did have some good ole days. Last time I hunted elk there was about 5 years ago and I've not been back since. We found elk, but the numbers were so low and carcassas so frequent I just haven't returned.

We have been hunting deer in that area the last couple of years but mostly in unit 51 and we see a lot of elk and a few nice bulls in 51. Also we have only heard a wolf a couple of times and not much sign of them but have seen strange behavior in the elk.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom