Unit 51 early archery elk - bear?

WoodMoose

I am hunting unit 51 first season archery,,,looking at having a bear tag in the pocket for just in case,,,or is that a waste of time and a donation to the NMDGF?

We see bear every year up there hunting. Take a foxpro call up there with ya and I think you have a good chance of calling one in.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

My dad had that elk tag last year. The rut activity was really low. Over the years we have seen some bears on that unit. If I were you I would get a bear tag. You might see one.

Good Luck

51 is a really good unit and it just got bigger too. with the expansion of the unit you have some more options. yes the rut is alittle slow but if you do your home work you can find a bull your looking for. so with that being said what are you looking for????

I'll try to point you in the right direction so stay in touch

sorry - work got in the way for a little while there,,,,

just a bull,,,,nothing major,,,I'm not picky at all,,,,prefer a racked bull,,,,5x or better,,,,but have no illusions,,,,,might even whack the first legal animal (love me some elk meat),,,,I'll be solo,,,,

wo what am I looking for?? To be on some animals,,,,know they are around,,,,and get after them,,,,

went to the Frank Church Wilderness back in 2004 (solo and DIY),,,never even found fresh sign,,,(locals blamed wolves),,,,anyhow want to avoid that scenario if possible,,,,but other than that,,,already happy that I'll be elk hunting in NM in a little over 6 weeks,,,,,

well that helps some. theres always elk in madera canyon but people to thats rd 137 goin west from el rito that goes all the way to conjilon. then you go throgh conjilon to the lakes and back to el rito canyon or keep goin east to canyon plaza and thres piedras. I'll just say lots of roads to choose from get a map from forest circus or b.l.m. and figure out just where you want to start then get back to me then i;ll point you in the right direction hope it helps. where are you coming from?

Just a little info here guys. The foxpro is a no-no in NM. It's not legal for bear or lions. I'm by no stretch of theimagination a member of theethics police tho.....

freaknasty - already have the NF and BLM maps, doing map recon and figuring,,,,need to make some phone calls this weekend, then will shoot you a PM if I have questions. really appreciate the help,

After I fill my tag I'm going to be using that foxpro to wack some coyotes. We saw and heard tons of them the last 3 years. Nows the chance to thin them out a little.

woodmoose,

I hunted that unit the past two seasons for rifle season (both the oct 10-14th) and we had good hunts. I took a decent satelite bull (4x4) 2 years ago and another bull (6x) last year that would have scored around 285 but had a couple busted tines. There are a lot of bulls in the unit and if you are willing to pass on the smaller ones you will probably get a chance at a better bull. I don't think there are a lot of bulls that will go over 300 but they are in there. As for the bear tag, I wish I would have had one last year. I saw a huge bear at 30 yds while hunting with my father. We both stood speachless until he ran off and both thought the same thing. Was that a cow or a huge bear?? The light was low but there was no mistaking it when he turned and ran. Not sure what the cost of a bear tag would be but if we would have been lucky enough to draw that unit for the 3rd year in a row, I would've gotten a bear tag to go with it!

good luck!

Adubs

Resident I would get a bear tag for sure, Non-resident I might flip a coin.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom