Unit 54 vs 55, 2nd Rifle Mule Deer

bcmulie

I'm trying to decide between units 54 and 55 for a 2nd season mule deer hunt. I have 7 nonresident points, so should be able to draw either one (subject to how the new non-resident caps drive point creep!). Unit 55 issues fewer tags, which is a plus in terms of pressure, but Unit 54 seems to have more remote terrain, which might also help with pressure. I'd love to hear from anyone who has hunted either unit: what you liked about it or didn't, how bad the pressure was, whether you can realistically backpack to get away from the crowds, and any other info you might be prepared to share. PMs welcome. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hunted 54 this last year second season. We saw tons of deer but no good bucks. Saw a few average four points and the rest were lots smaller. It was beautiful country and we had great conditions but there just didn’t seem to be any mature bucks.

Hunted 54 this last year second season. We saw tons of deer but no good bucks. Saw a few average four points and the rest were lots smaller. It was beautiful country and we had great conditions but there just didn’t seem to be any mature bucks.
That’s very par for the course for 54 right. The sad reality is there are very, very few mature age class bucks. It’s even worse right now in 55 from what I’ve seen the last couple years.

308 bucks killed in 55 last year. Way too many for a small unit.
Was thinking about hunting 55 this year. Never have before. Hunted 21 last year for first time. I am trying to get a sense of the "huntable" size of 55 vs 21. Curious if anyone has hunted both over the years and could compare. Huntable size meaning for me that 21 doesn't have the alpine areas that are functionally non hunting areas in later seasons that it appears 55 does to the east and north. Thanks

54 was a zoo with elk hunters. We didn't see a buck over 3-4 years old. I ate tag soup on my second season hunt two years ago, and that was with an early snow storm.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the OTC elk hunters negatively impact the quality of the hunts on the north side of the Gunnison Basin and in any event mature bucks are scarce. I might try 67, although I gather that the quality of bucks there isn’t any better than 54/55. If anyone has any other ideas for a non-resident with 7 pts who just wants to see some new country, have a good experience and have a chance at digging up a mature buck, let me know. Thanks.

None of the Gunny Basin units are anywhere near where they once were. Winter kill, too many tags, late seasons have taken their tole on all of them. Elk hunters stirring everything up is also a problem. If you are set on finding a really good buck you need to just pick a unit and go hunt daylight to dark for the whole season. That kind of effort might pay off, and it might not. If I had the tag again, I'd just hunt hard and hope for the best.

I'll add what I can here...

I hunt every year elk in 54, it is SUPER hit or miss for deer. Granted, I hunt it in Sept which is totally different from 2nd season. I hunted 3rd season in 55 last year and took a nice buck. I networked with a lot of guys that were also out there and it seems my experience was very unusual. I talked to a lot of people that ate tags, shot small bucks, and overall regretted burning points out there. I had 2 good buddies of mine that did second season in 55 and really struggled. They didn't see any mature bucks during the entire season. 1 ate the tag and the other shot a 2x2 on the last day.

As others have mentioned, both units are complete zoos with the OTC elk hunters. I have to think in 55 with the trail and road access "backpacking" away from the crowds is probably not realistic. If you want any further info feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to give you some info.

So I know the Basin is getting a bad rap as of lately w lower age class of deer there but I guess my question is there any real better option to apply for just say second season or even third w a handful points it generally takes there for second season in the basin?

No unit in colorado is worth the points it takes to draw if you have been playing the game for awhile, but the points required to draw is still relative to the perceived quality of the hunt. Where else are you going to go with your points? The market says 8 points gets you a shot at 140-160 buck with some luck. Just not enough supply out there to meet what eveyone demands now. Roll the dice and hunt or sit and wait for it to be better. Big mulies are few and far between, but everyone including myself are still chasing them. I feel like I am chasing ghosts more and more though.

No unit in colorado is worth the points it takes to draw if you have been playing the game for awhile, but the points required to draw is still relative to the perceived quality of the hunt. Where else are you going to go with your points? The market says 8 points gets you a shot at 140-160 buck with some luck. Just not enough supply out there to meet what eveyone demands now. Roll the dice and hunt or sit and wait for it to be better. Big mulies are few and far between, but everyone including myself are still chasing them. I feel like I am chasing ghosts more and more though.
Oh I’m all for hunting and burning points trust me! I just didn’t ppls opinions if there were better options w a few points other than the basin. Unit 40 second season could be drawn w 5 or 6 pts. I know it has private issues. I’m mainly an elk hunter but I have a few deer pts in CO I need to get rid of. I think I have 8

If you are starting from scratch with no prior knowledge I would say the the harder it is to draw the better it will be on average. The "market" is usually correct. If you have hunted a unit before and have some info it might be worth switching to an easier to draw unit. I have some units I am familiar with that take a few points on 2nd that keep me cashing out and hunting more vs holding out for 3rd season tags or the perceived better units.

If you are starting from scratch with no prior knowledge I would say the the harder it is to draw the better it will be on average. The "market" is usually correct. If you have hunted a unit before and have some info it might be worth switching to an easier to draw unit. I have some units I am familiar with that take a few points on 2nd that keep me cashing out and hunting more vs holding out for 3rd season tags or the perceived better units.

I agree, but the market is pretty overvalued ( points) at the moment. and that's not just in Colorado. still, I really don't see waiting as a strategy to get a better deal.

I think I’d do a 3rd season hunt and learn the country with plans to come back in a couple years with a second season tag..but the OP is not a mule deer nut so maybe that’s not in the cards

I think I’d do a 3rd season hunt and learn the country with plans to come back in a couple years with a second season tag..but the OP is not a mule deer nut so maybe that’s not in the cards
That was originally my plan. I hunted 53 3rd season in 2015 and was hoping to hunt 2nd season there this year, but point creep and the reduction in non-resident tags put the kibosh on that. I'll hunt 67 2nd this year (I hope!) and then look for an archery tag in either 53 or 67 in a couple of years.

I am a sheep hunting nut first and a mule deer nut second, but these days I'm mostly looking for a quality experience and to see some beautiful country. We'll see how it goes.

That was originally my plan. I hunted 53 3rd season in 2015 and was hoping to hunt 2nd season there this year, but point creep and the reduction in non-resident tags put the kibosh on that. I'll hunt 67 2nd this year (I hope!) and then look for an archery tag in either 53 or 67 in a couple of years.

I am a sheep hunting nut first and a mule deer nut second, but these days I'm mostly looking for a quality experience and to see some beautiful country. We'll see how it goes.
Might see you in 67nd, I put in for an elk tag and buddy is in for deer.

I’m glad to be a mule deer nut instead of a sheep nut, sounds expensive!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom