Unit 61 Archery Deer Experience

inarcher

Good day.

I'll be flying to Colorado in late August to chase mule deer in Unit 61. First ever mule deer hunt for me.

Have my maps ordered and been using Google Earth quite a bit since drawing the tag.

Since I'll be flying in, camp will be on my back. It doesn't appear I can get very far off Divide Road without losing quite a bit of altitude. Figuring the majority of good deer will be high that time of year.

Looking for spots off the beaten path that contain water sources and of course...some decent bucks. I realize it is rare, but the more glassable the better. Doesn't have to hold the biggest bucks in the unit....as I doubt I could resist releasing an arrow at something 160" or better.

The plan is to scout a couple days prior to the opener and hopefully put one to bed the night before. Will likley pack in for five or six days and then hike out to the truck and restock for the second half of the hunt.

Big unit...any experienced suggestions are appreciated. Feel free to PM me or email at [email protected]

Background info: Bowhunting has been my passion for nearly thirty years...most of those chasing whitetails. Bowhunted elk in Colorado three of the last seven years...all DIY. Been a member of the Colorado Bowhunters Association since 2005. Just finished four years as Treasurer for my home Indiana Bowhunter Association. Strong supporter of the P&Y Club as well. Taught many IBEP classes over the years for the NBEF.
When I'm not bowhunting, I'm thinking about bowhunting.....

Thanks,
Paul

Find some higher remote canyons. Don't be too discouraged by roads because there are a lot of them. There are also a lot of people that don't seem to mind making new roads on public land in that area. Going early will help you emmensely because the deer will be fairly patternable at that time. I'd say that if you spend that much time in the unit you should see a fair number of shooter bucks. Don't be too afraid to look over the area before shooting that 160" deer. If this moisture keeps up there's sure to be more than a couple wall hangers up there. I would be interested to see how your hunt goes, so keep us posted!

I spent the last two weeks of the season there last year chasing elk so my info isn't gonna be too helpful as to your hunt but here goes anyways.

I hunted the oakbush below the aspens and didn't see many deer. When I was in the aspens (top) I saw more deer and deer sign.

IMO, early this will be even more true. I can't see those big bucks hanging out in oakbrush while in velvet.

The deer population isn't near what the elk population is but there are some fantastic bucks. When talking to others about elk last year, I asked about deer cause I considered buying a LO tag for deer. Almost everyone I talked to told me of at least one smoker they saw while archery elk huntin.

I saw 2 shooter bucks in 15 days. One about 24"-25" Massive, deep and high. The other was about 28", good forks but not heavy. And this was while huntin oakbrush where you couldn't see 20 yards at times.

Good luck

Thanks for the input and advice. Big mule deer are a new experience for me. Really looking forward to it.

Wish I lived close enough to do some summer scouting. Just going to have to pick a likely looking area on the map and go for it. Have alot of confidence doing that for whitetails, but this isn't a whitetail hunt.

Didn't consider velvet being a factor in early season deer patterns. Will the majority of the bucks keep their velvet through the first week of September?

I'll see what I can do about raising that 160" bar? Good friend once told me, "When bowhunting unfamiliar territory on your own, don't pass an animal the first day that you would shoot on the last day." Need to get better at field judging muleys for sure.

Thanks again,
Paul

The bucks should still be in the velvet that first week. About the second week they'll rub it off. Use the bucks ear length, about 8-10", to est. lengths of points. A 160" deer might have beams in the low 20's, g2's around 16", g3 and 4's around 8-9", decent eyegaurds and average mass. In that country you may not have much time to evaluate a critter due to the trees and topography.

Usually don't get much time to evaluate whitetails either. If I have to think about whether a particular buck is a shooter or not....he walks more often than not. When a "no doubt" shooter, by my standards, comes into bow range, I honestly don't study the rack. Again, I've hunted whitetails all my life...but these bucks aren't whitetails.

I'm going to arrive a couple days before season opens. Hopefully, I'll get to look over a few animals before opening day...and get a better feel for what I'm after.

Thanks,
Paul

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom