Unit 61 here we go!

Congratulations to you Greg on the grandchild as well as the family hunt being successful! Great work and great bull.

Since my daughter drew this tag we have been really excited about going on this hunt as a family. In that time she became pregnant, which we are extremely excited about. I told her that if she wanted to she could turn the tag in and try another year. Her response was “not a chance dad, we’re going on this hunt!” Fast forward 5 months and here we are. We got into camp 2 days early to do some scouting. As luck would have it we found this bull and a group of about 30 cows with several smaller bulls on Thursday evening. Taylor told me that this was definitely the one. Now the pressure was on. How am I going to possibly get my 5 months pregnant daughter a shot at this guy? We found the herd on Friday morning and watched them again that evening. They were moving at night so it made it a little bit of a crapshoot on where we wanted to position ourselves on opening morning. I made the decision to put on a point overlooking 3 different directions the next morning. At the crack of daylight we had the herd about 400 yards directly below us. The wind was howling and they eventually winded us, blowing the whole herd out of the canyon and around a far ridge. As we watched them we weren’t able to put eyes on the target bull. I decided to just stay put for a while and do some glassing, hoping we could pick him out in another canyon. I eventually found a couple bulls together a little over 1000 yards away. As I studied them I noticed that the one bull was him. It would take us 1 1/2 hours to get around the canyon so that we could position ourselves above him. We snuck over the edge where we last saw him and he was still close to the same spot. It took me awhile to get my daughter set up for the shot. He was only about 150 yards straight down off of a cliff. As Taylor squeezed the trigger on her 300win mag the bull dropped instantly. I can honestly say that I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited as this on any of my hunts before. My wife, son in law, and good hunting buddy were all there for this. We had tons of laughs together and this will definitely be some of the most memorable times of our lives together as a family.
To all of you that offered help, whether it be to pack meat or just moral support, thank you! There’s a great bunch of guys on this page and it’s fun to share the hunting stories.
Gadget
View attachment 124457View attachment 124458View attachment 124459View attachment 124460View attachment 124461View attachment 124462View attachment 124463View attachment 124464View attachment 124465
Great job Gadjet and daughter. I think I know about where you were at but could be wrong. Great bull!

What a great experience for your family. Congratulations on a beautiful bull and a terrific hunt! We wait a long time for days like these. Very cool. Thanks for sharing…

My Nephew tagged his Cow Monday morning.

IMG_6950.jpeg

Since my daughter drew this tag we have been really excited about going on this hunt as a family. In that time she became pregnant, which we are extremely excited about. I told her that if she wanted to she could turn the tag in and try another year. Her response was “not a chance dad, we’re going on this hunt!” Fast forward 5 months and here we are. We got into camp 2 days early to do some scouting. As luck would have it we found this bull and a group of about 30 cows with several smaller bulls on Thursday evening. Taylor told me that this was definitely the one. Now the pressure was on. How am I going to possibly get my 5 months pregnant daughter a shot at this guy? We found the herd on Friday morning and watched them again that evening. They were moving at night so it made it a little bit of a crapshoot on where we wanted to position ourselves on opening morning. I made the decision to put on a point overlooking 3 different directions the next morning. At the crack of daylight we had the herd about 400 yards directly below us. The wind was howling and they eventually winded us, blowing the whole herd out of the canyon and around a far ridge. As we watched them we weren’t able to put eyes on the target bull. I decided to just stay put for a while and do some glassing, hoping we could pick him out in another canyon. I eventually found a couple bulls together a little over 1000 yards away. As I studied them I noticed that the one bull was him. It would take us 1 1/2 hours to get around the canyon so that we could position ourselves above him. We snuck over the edge where we last saw him and he was still close to the same spot. It took me awhile to get my daughter set up for the shot. He was only about 150 yards straight down off of a cliff. As Taylor squeezed the trigger on her 300win mag the bull dropped instantly. I can honestly say that I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited as this on any of my hunts before. My wife, son in law, and good hunting buddy were all there for this. We had tons of laughs together and this will definitely be some of the most memorable times of our lives together as a family.
To all of you that offered help, whether it be to pack meat or just moral support, thank you! There’s a great bunch of guys on this page and it’s fun to share the hunting stories.
Gadget
View attachment 124457View attachment 124458View attachment 124459View attachment 124460View attachment 124461View attachment 124462View attachment 124463View attachment 124464View attachment 124465
Super hunt and a well told story to go with it. The photos certainly enhance the telling and your memories. Great looking family, one and all…… with beautiful smiles. Great family gadget and congratulations on an outstanding bull elk…. to add icing on the cake.

Super hunt and a well told story to go with it. The photos certainly enhance the telling and your memories. Great looking family, one and all…… with beautiful smiles. Great family gadget and congratulations on an outstanding bull elk…. to add icing on the cake.
Thank you!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom