unit 61 wolves and idiots

T

tufcntry

this year we hunted unit 61 with our muzzleloaders the first week was good, we saw elk and even knocked one down, we went back because we had a few more tags and there was fresh snow we were sure there would be no problem. wel we got up there huted the whole are top to bottom worked out tales off and put alot of miles on our boots. we didnt see an elk or deer, let alone a track there was nothing there well being frustrated we headed to town to get a drink and turns there was a bunch of wolves spotted in the area. no wonder there wasn't any animals anyone who says wolves aren't a problem is moron. i would like to punch the person whos idea it was to reintroduce wolves right in the teeth. then to make it worse we found a nice herd of elk and a couple jackass's were chasing them on snow mobiles. what a joke. good elk hunting goin right down the crapper because of wolves and idiots

That unit was like that before the wolves. I hunted that a couple of times about 20 years ago. It was the same way then. One day they are there the next they are gone. Ron

usually i would agree but we had these elk patterned and we have never not been able to find them and there are a few different herds in our area. also we always see some type of game and there was absolutley nothing it felt like we wee in a ghost forest.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-07 AT 01:11PM (MST)[p]There are still elk in there, but not the numbers like in year's past, and they stay in smaller bunches in the timber. I have the same ES tag this year, and also two years ago, and am seeing them when I go out. Just trying to kill a nice bull tho, and not interested in the cows. The weather has been the pits to hunt them, tho. Wolves seem to be much more prevalent on the east side than around Spencer/Kilgore but i have seen their tracks there on Table Mt. last weekend.

As for deer, there is no wonder they can't be found. Hasn't ever been a great deer unit, and now IDFG is trying to basically eliminate as many as they can to reduce competition with the elk on the desert. Why would you run an archery hunt for a month, then a general season 3 week rifle hunt, and an either sexx rifle controlled hunt (600 tags) with bucks open until Nov. 17th, and does Nov. 18-30th ????????? Pretty hard on them deer, don't you think? I'd say that would put them in the crapper too!!!!

Of course elk move around a lot and you can see 'em one day and they'll be gone the next. Unlike deer, elk can cover a ton of country in a hurry and they'll up and leave if there's too much hunting pressure or general activity in the area. However, it's completely ignorant to say that wolves don't have an impact on elk herds and their habits! There's a reason why you never see any calves out there anymore... The wolves feakin' eat all of them. Introducing the Canadian gray wolf was the biggest mistake we've ever made concerning our big game herds out west and the feds should've kept their noses out of the STATE of Idaho's business!

I will disagree that this area has always been this way, You could in early 90's go out and see elk, deer both in hills and the flats of desert and see animals nearly every time just driving yale-kilgore road. The park elk (Harriman,Yellowstone would come with the snows, the Red rock Montana herd with Montana's rifle season from north end. Hunted archery year before last ONLY place found elk and vocal elk where within a mile radius of humanity, it seemed to be the buffer zone that wolves not yet willing to cross, similiar to what you now see in Salmon, Idaho. Rattlesnake would be filling up with animals staging to kick out on desert. Since the intro of the exotic, CANADIAN wolf, my friends hunt this every year, if they get an elk down they are happy. This year not so lucky plenty of snow in hills but strangely no animals in singles doubles or even herds. Just MY opinion of my backyard.

shane

well i have the answer as to why there were no animals in the area though i did see animals in between corral creek and rattler. have the deer really been as wiped out as they seem to be they have great country for some good deer below the timber in those big desert canyons, but who the hell knows i just wanna grab my rifle and hunt for some of those big coyotes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom