UNIT 67

Nobody can give me any help on this unit.Allen Pennington is selling unit 67 archery vouchers for $2000. Are they really worth it.

I was going to post a similar question. What size bulls can one expect to find in units 66 and 67? Does any one have any information or experience?
I have a little experience with unit 61 but am wondering about these other draw units.
Thanks

I have hunted there five times since it became a draw unit in 1998, a 250 to 270 inch bull is big. I normal hunt the Powderhorn area or Alpine Plateau. Its nice to be in excellent shape or have access to horses, its steep country and a beautiful area.

Leonard
How well did your five hunts go in unit 66.Did you tag a 250 bull.

Do you think the heavy winter in the area has effected antler size and calf production this summer.

Leonard, I returned your pm.

sjhgraysage
as far as I can tell the bulls do not come close to the size of the bulls in unit 61. Is that due to genetics,climate,or terrain or the fact that there is alot more tags issued in those units I don't know. But according to the stats on the DOW website the harvest rate over all, bulls and cows gives you about an 8% greater chance at tagging out than one of the otc units in the gunnison basin.Was thinking about building my points for a hunt in 61. I have a little experience in 66. None in 67.Maybe you can help me out in 61.

You might try 76 for archery or a late rifle, I think they require less points. I have never hunted in 61 but it looks great.

Matt,
Sorry for the delay I have been away from the computer for a few days.
I have been to 61 a couple of times, I saw elk every day. I have 16 elk points and will probably use them in 61, but was wondering about easier draws for my boys who have few points.
How many points do you have? Resident or Non?
I would tell you what limited info I have for 61, I don't think I have any secrets though.
Scott

Scott
NR with 5 elk points. I have taken a few bulls in otc units and a few in unit 66. I've never reached the 300" mark though.I'm a DIY hunter looking to explore some new terrain.Was thinking unit 76 or 61.With points creep it could take me another 12 plus years to draw a 61 tag.Was wondering if it really was worth the wait.How many 300" bulls would I see in a 2 week period.How hard of a hunt would it be for someone in his 50s by the time he draws.For some one with 16 points I would have to ask why you wouldn't draw one of the NW primo units instead of 61.
As for unit 66 I pretty much agree with Leonard.Although there are a few easier access areas you can hunt but with easier access comes more pressure and the bulls will be in heavy cover.I would never burn my points in this unit on a muzz tag, unless I lived in or near this unit.I bow hunted this unit once and had plenty of action.Had the bow drawn several times but could not bring myself to shoot because the bulls where smaller than anything I had taken before.1st rifle too many tags issued.The later seasons are tough because of previous pressure and post rut as is the norm. and everything is weather dependent as usual.No turkey shoot in 66.Hunt hard tag early.

like i said i don't have any experience in 67.Thats why i was looking for some help. da

oh yeh i forgot i know evey landowner in the unit. what do you want to know fullcry.What was I thinking I don't need any help at all.I should have just called my guide buddies they could give me gps coordinates to all the 400" bulls in the unit.

Curt Cadwell is a guide in Unit 67 - he is on a video put out by RMEF guiding Wayne Carlton to a real nice 6 point bull. Curt also has a ranch and cabins in unit 67.

wildsage

I've spent a fair amount of time hunting the unit, as have my friends. A 300" bull is very optimistic IMO. Killing a bull shouldn't be too hard, finding a nice one is a whole diffrent story. We have access to private and public in the unit and in 15 years of hunting it our group (20 guys over all seasons) has taken a lot of elk (run about 60% harvest), but only 2 bulls which were in the 300+" catagory. The majority are 4s and 5s.

The unit might be managed for bulls, but the the DOW gives out way to many tags to make it a trophy hunt. Bull tags in the unit can be had with 0-1 point for just about every season. The DOW also gives out a crap load of cow tags so the unit gets hammered by hunters, I think there are between 400-700 elk hunters each rifle season. Lots of road hunters, and lots of ATV's, if you can get away from them you'll have a great hunt though. Good luck.

Sorry Fullcry, didn,t mean to be so snippy, had to put my grandma to rest this week.She was 93. I,m going to miss her very much.Anyways ,thanks leonard,bambistew,and wildsage,thats why i started this thread,was for some general experiences and input on unit67.Anyboby else with a hunting story or experience from 67. It would be great to hear from you.
Scott, I hope this gives you some ideas for your boys.Thanks again guys.

Im sure am glad you Manned up and appoligized MAG cause i was just asking ANYONE if they new of some one with private land or any guides for that area .I couldnt understand why you rained all over a simple question....BAMBI and Wild i am sending you PMs for a little more info.MY wife drew that tag and i am still looking at options for her...

fullcry
Hope this thread that i started gets you the info you need to tag that big bull and/or cow.I'll be out there too.It would be great if we both tag a 300.I think its going to be a good year.Maybe we can post pics of our hunts.Good luck!!!! and have a great hunt.

Thanks Mag. Bambi my wife read your pm and she says she will be ready.Shes been working out for about a month now,so thanks to you too..

Sounds like I have some serious competition.Looking forward to seeing your pics.Hope i don't embarrass myself too much.
good luck Bambi!!!

MagnumMatt,
Been a while since I visited this post.
Back to unit 61.
I can't say if its worth building points for but IMHO it is one of the top ten units in colorado.
If you spent 2 weeks in the unit and know anything at all about elk and glassing I would estimate that you would see not less than 5 bulls over 300. In 2005 my brother-in-law and I glassed a 300 - 320 class 6x6 sitting in the front seat of my pickup while driving to a spot to look for deer. A couple days before the season opened my dad and I glassed another 6x6 bull with a 5 point that I believe would have been right at 290 - 300 maybe a little better.
Why don't I apply for the NW units? I may, but like you mentioned point creep is keeping me about 1 - 2 points out of the running for 10, 2, or 201 probably.
Good Luck hope to see pics of your bull from this fall.
Scott

Fullcry - it kicked it back to me and stated the email address is not valid. I used the one on your message icon. Let me know if you have a new email -

wildsage

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom