unit 68 deer?

gonehuntn

Anyone know anything about the deer herd in unit 68,681,682, numbers and maybe quality of bucks? Any info would be appreciated thanks.

I do know the numbers are said to be on the lower end. However, there are some quality bucks to be had. The later rifle seasons have produced some dandies in this unit.

I've hunted it the last three years. It's got harder every year this year I brought home tag soup, saw buck just like 140 to 160 class nothing I was looking for. numbers are down the coyotes are bad. Fun hunt don't no if all go there this year or try another unit. What season are you wanting to hunt? How many points do you have?

Have you looked into any 4th season units with 5 points there are some great 4th season units, don't get me wrong 68 is a fun hunt but people no about it and I've watch it go from great to ok in 3 years. I have 5 nr points to with having 5 points I'm looking at 4th season units and going to hold out until I can get a 4 season tag somewhere. I love hunting muleys in late November any unit in Colorado you have a chance at a big buck with those dates. Don't no for sure how to pm if you want more info I'll try and figure it out

Huntin Fool put this unit on the radar 3 years ago and it has gone steadily downhill since then. I hunted it 4th season last year. Scouted for four days and hunted all five. The rut was cranking but still we saw very few if any quality bucks.

How could the Huntin Fool listing it as a top unit hurt quality? I could see how it could hurt tag availability and pp required, but not quality. Don't the same number of tags get issued year after year regardless of which units Huntin Fool and others promote?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-12 AT 08:12AM (MST)[p]I know it effects the quality. I have seen it on other units in CO and in WY. When HuntinFool highlights a unit, the masses of people who apply are trophy hunters. Putting 90% of the permits in the hands of guys looking for the best 10-20% of bucks puts too much pressure on the top end of the buck herd. The Unit's buck herd was grown over time and the top-end is taken off in a short time. Yes, it may be the same number of tags, but those holding the tags are much more dedicated and accomplished at finding and killing the best of the buck herd.

I hunted this unit last year, there were plenty of deer to hunt but you will really have to work to get a 160-170 buck. You will be frustrated with the over the counter Elk hunters. As with most places in CO there are good bucks there if you can find them.

It in fact has gone down hill I've hunted the last 3 years see fewer and fewer bucks ever year. Look at the odds on huntin fool from 09 it's goes from 3 point draw to 2010 up to 6 point garrante not the same didn't even kill a buck there last year only saw 160 ish bucks at the biggest.

gonehuntn, you can do as good in any other unit in central-west colo. You can get a 150 to 160 deer there. I spent some time 2 years ago around thanksgiving and only saw one 175 type deer. HF and E'man's don't live and hunt here, and they don,t really know anything more than what a cpw biologist told them. If you want a giant deer, go to eastern plains. Maybe buy an otc elk tag in that unit and see what I'm talking about. Nowadays having lots of points doesn't always add up to a successful hunt. I think you are on the right track with securing a 4th season tag in whatever unit you do decide on. good luck

I think that Packout explained what I was thinking fairly well. I was on the unit during the last couple of days of the 3rd season and I believe that most all of the hunters I spoke with were/are HF members. In my opinion the HF members bring a higher resolve to harvest trophys and will hold onto their tags longer, eventually taking out more of the higher end bucks. If bad genetics and a 150" deer make you happy then by all means go for it.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom