unit 7

G

gotmuledeer

i drew a unit 7 deer tag and i have never hunted
there before im just looking for some good places
to check out

Mule Deer
Overview: Mule deer occur throughout Unit 7 except in the lowest and most open grasslands. Since the early to mid 1990?s the deer numbers and hunt successes have declined. However, the 2005 hunt reversed that trend with a more than doubling of the hunt success and harvest. Additionally, the fawn crops in ?04 and ?05 were over 50% and the 2 highest years since 1990. Most of the harvested bucks last year were 1-2 year olds, reflecting these 2 high fawn crops.
Areas: The first day or two of the hunt, deer densities will be highest on the burns north and east of the San Francisco Peaks like White Horse Hills, Saddle Mountain and the Hochderffer Hills. Conversely, hunter densities are also highest there. The pinyon-juniper habitats at lower elevations throughout the unit contain some mature animals, but their densities are relatively low and the thick brush makes hunting a challenge. Mature bucks also occur at higher elevations on the San Francisco Peaks and Kendrick Mountain, but again, lower densities of bucks and thicker vegetation make hunting difficult.

Most years, snow during the hunt will not be deep enough to drive animals to lower elevations. However, hard freezes prior to the hunt normally kills forage at higher elevations and deer will often move downhill looking for better forage.

Tough unit brother. I have an uncle that lives in Parks and says there are pockets that hold alot of big bucks but I'd have to draw a tag myself for him to be willing to give up his spots. I personally have seen quite a few deer up in the hills between Bellmont and Parks. There are a few roads that go through there. Thats where I'd start.

Donnie

I was just there yesterday and saw about fifteen deer in different areas of the unit. One thing that did bother me was big does without fawns. AZWALKER gave good advice.

well i just got back from scouting up there
and i saw some really big deer

Sorry. If I did something wrong.
Was just letting "firstcoueswas80inches" know that deer tags in unit 7 are normally for the whole unit and as this year, some are combined with unit 9.

Crosswind.

Was just letting "firstcoueswas80inches" know that deer tags in unit 7 are normally for the whole unit and as this year, some are combined with unit 9.

Crosswind.
That Guy will argue with anyone. Ignore Him...............................BULL!

Crosswind.
Nothing wrong with the advice.... Just a bit late. This thread is from 2007

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom