Unit 70 1st rifle

A

AZbowhntr

Has anyone here ever hunted this unit for elk. I have done a ton of searches and never found anything on this unit. Chef and I drew this hunt this year and I'm curious as to what we should expect. Looks like last year they had a 45% success rate so that isn't too bad. I am really looking forward to getting up there this fall. We are planning on getting there a couple days early and do some scouting.

Hard to get info on 70 & I don't know why. I suspect that since it's easy to draw, people hunt it repeatedly and don't want to give up info to the competition.

I posted for a friend on the 3rd rifle for deer. In that post I mentioned I had 61, 3rd season. No responses on 70 but several comments and PMs on 61, go figure.

Thanks Califelkslayer for the reply. It is really weird that there is nothing on this unit at all. I was starting to wonder if it was a newer unit that got created from a split or something. It would be nice to have an idea of what size elk I should expect see. If a 300 class bull is a trophy for the unit I don't want to be looking for a 350 bull and passing the 300's.

I've driven through the NE portion and it was sage/junipers. Winter range for deer. There is some NF south of there. I'd call F&G. Good luck.

I KNOW A GROUP THAT USED TO HUNT 70 (FROM MY TOWN VERY RECENTLY),....IF YOU SEE A 300 BULL YOU BETTER BE THROWIN LEAD. IF YOU SEE A LEGAL BULL YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE EM. A 350 IS NOT PART OF REALITY...ITS AN OTC UNIT, NOT AN LE UNIT......YD.

That success rate surprises me. 70 is better deer country than elk. But not to discourage you. I think 70 is combined with 70,71,711,72,73. I hunt 71 or 711. I killed a 5x6 last year that season. Lots of good public. But gets hunted hard close to the roads. so be prepared to lace up or saddle up. That is by far the best season though still really vocal. and gives you an advantage to reach out long ways Don't mind givn u more pointers. If you want you can send me a message.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom