Unit 74 Above Timberline???

NMBugleJunky

So I have always wanted to hang a nice sized velvet covered horned mule deer on my wall. Well, now that I have 13 points in CO, and can shoot long range, I've decided to pull the trigger on this early above timberline rifle hunt. Was hoping the MM community could share a bit of info on size of deer they have seen in the past. Thanks in advance.

The area has been down for a few years due to a hard winter a few years back, but unless this winter turns out badly, there should some 180+ bucks you can find if you work hard. The problem is it is a BIG area and VERY STEEP. So be in shape and if you are a nonres come a few days early to get adjusted. Lots of area to check and only a few basins hold the deer. Date this year is great for velvet. I killed mine on Sept 4th (but in the Sangres)

There were 5 guys with 12 points last year and 1 of them got picked, so it should take 13 or more this year. My brother now has 12 and has been chasing that tag for a while. Good luck

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Good unit, put lots of time in on glass and cover a lot of ground. Any area in the unit can hold big bucks, but quality has been down over the last few years so don't get caught up in one place. Dates are great, just like the late seasons dates are great. With that being said most units will see a one to two point jump over last year, This is also the only early rifle that starts earlier than the muzzleloader which could push points even higher.

How's this area for archery deer I guess if the early season rifle is good the archery should be good and I don't believe it takes that many points.

Had tag in 2014 as nonres. Scouted for 4 days and shot this opening morning. Biggest one we could find. Lots of deer but older age class was missing. Hiked into basins 2-6 miles from road. Fun awesome country but don't expect a monster!
Country was soo steep the velvet got dinged a bit...
958img1456.jpg

Pretty sure I had 17. Point creep was driving me nuts so I went for a hunt that looked fun. Now I save my cash from Colorado. Its a hard game to play when there is no end in sight.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom