Unit 75/751 Archery Elk

Hoosier1

Hi All,

Just picked up a Colorado Archery Elk tag for unit 75/751 and plan on solo hunting starting around 9/20. I am coming in from Indiana, 58 years old and in good shape but still 58! I have contacted several outfitters about a drop camp or pack in w own gear but would like to go on my own. After looking at the terrain more closely my butt is starting to pucker up. Looking for advice and which way to go and general info on the unit. Like can I access the high altitude forest roads with front wheel drive? If anyone is interested in sharing a camp or providing any info please private message me.

Thanks, Hoosier1

I would not be figuring on driving forest roads without a 4x4. Is that what you meant or do you have really have a front wheel drive. That won’t be enough if you have any rain or snow. Chains are good to have as well.

Hoosier1...I also just picked up an elk archery tag for unit 75/751 and in the same situation you were in. Ive contacted outfitters but enjoy doing it on my own. First time in Colorado so if you have any advice from your experience in this area, that would be great.

I lived at Vallecito Lake & guided in that area for three years during the 1970s. Although it's probably not as bad during the archery season, even back then, anywhere you could drive resembled rush hour on a CA freeway.

There are places where you can hike in & hunt on your own -- the same places every other hunter will be looking at. Where you go will somewhat depend on your fitness because there's lots of up & down terrain involved. At least seriously consider having an outfitter do a drop-camp or at the very least, haul you & your gear in on horseback. It will get you away from most of the crowd and also provide a way to get your meat out.

Last edited:
Dsclark: the question is from last August. Hoosier will never read your reply.

This type of post is why newbies don’t get much respect/ info. The OP has made exactly 1 post.
I didn't notice the date either.

dunce.gif

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom