unit 76 archery, muzzleloader, or first regular rifle

ToddT

Okay, I have pretty much given up on unit 61, so I plan to hunt unit 76. The question I must ask myself is, which unit would be best, and by best I mean the most enjoyable. I have enough points to draw the first regular rifle hunt, but I am still 2 - 3 years from drawing blackpowder, but if it would be worth it, I could wait. Anyway, I may already have my answer, but I was hoping for advice. From what I understand, the archery is a really enjoyable hunt, with lots of rut activity, and the weather is generally mild - compared to the rifle seasons. The drawback of archery is the lower success rate. The first rifle, has a very good success rate, BUT, I have been told that the weather is really finicky this time of year, and it may be beautiful weather one day, and six inches of snow the next. Obviously this is an unknown, but I want to keep it in consideration. As a matter of fact, I feel the first rifle is the best option, but again the huge variable weather factor is very intimidating. Then there is the blackpowder season. I really enjoy most any blackpowder hunt, but again I am still 2 - 3, maybe even more, years out for a lock in drawing. The timeframe is perfect, but something I have noticed in the harvest stats is that success rates for the blackpowder is about the same as the archery success rate. I really do not understand why, maybe someone has a clue as to the reason why.

So with all this said, like I said, I may already have my own answer, but ANY advice is appreciated.

Beyond the basic question of which season to choose, do you think I would have a higher quality hunt with a drop-camp. I cannot afford a guided hunt, but I could probably scrape up the money to hire an outfitter to take me in by horseback and provide my primary gear. But, again, there is a downside, which as we all know, is the fact that if I choose the dropcamp option, once there, I am there for the duration. But being unfamiliar with this unit, are there any areas where you can be really mobile by road, or atv? Meaning, are there areas that hold an abundance of elk close to road access, or for the best hunting do I have to be in the back country?

I realize these are an abundance of questions, however, I am sure everyone understands that after so many years of accumulating points, I hate to simply throw them to the wind.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Another thought that I had, just as I hit the submit button for my post is, is there anywhere I could rent horses, or even lamas for unit 76?

Thanks again.

if you change your mind and go unit 61 let me know I would be glad to help .The archery season is a blast!!!

Actually I would prefer to hunt 61 but I figure I am about five or more years out, still yet. I have 15 points and I believe archery event takes 18. The best draw for unit 61 is the later rifle seasons, but it has been going up about a point a year. So, I have no clue when that may let up. Thanks for the offer though, that was very generous of you.

I would advise against a drop camp in 76. One of the great things about a unit with plenty of public land is being able to actually move around and hunt where the game is. Any outfit that would drop-camp you would probably also pack one out for a fee should you take an animal "far in".

Please refrain from bringing llamas and/or pack goats into area 76 as there are bighorn sheep in the area.

uphill thanks for pointing that out, concerning the llamas or the goats, I didn't realize that was an issue. I also agree about the drop camps, but I would think that being able to rent a horse, would still be a big advantage. Thanks again.

Unit 76 is a great unit! I hunted it archery last year and killed my bull the first week of the season. Stuck him a half mile from a road bugling like crazy. I play the overlooked area game and have really good luck with it. With that said it is very high country and an early season snow storm is always possible. A drop camp hunt would be cool, but there's plenty of country up there even after the fire to explore. The elk live in pockets, they are not around every corner but a little homework on your part can probably get you several shot opportunities with any weapon.

Are you going solo? I would do 76 1st rifle as they will still be talking. Solo can be tough especially with ponies. You could get snow , but the next day it could be in the 60's.. Good luck whatever you decide!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom