Unit 76 Colorado 3rd season elk

So I have 10 preference points and I am getting the itch to burn them and go. I know that this area is steep and can be brutally cold during the 3rd season. I have a side by side and I am prepared to hike back in a few miles if needed the big problem of course would be hauling one out. Should have some buddies to help but likely no horses. Would like to hear some of the experiences you all have with this unit. Is it doable without horses? Also, what is the camping situation during this season with and without snow? Are you motelin' it?

If you are mentally tough enough, and in excellent shape, 76 3rd can be a good DIY hunt without horses. If a fellow is not both in terrific shape and mentally tough it can be a miserable hunt. You will be counting on your legs and lungs to do the job.

I know 76 very well and I am having trouble thinking where you could get much benefit from an ATV. There are roads that are normally passable with a Jeep or pickup truck. There is much of 76 where any other sort of off road travel would not be legal. I have had a Jeep just about anywhere that is legal in 76. I guess it is possible to get benefit from an ATV if there is some snow and the two tracks are slick, but they will often simply close some roads to all travel when the snow gets deep.

Thanks for the good info Seamaster. I will be in top shape but I am approaching mid 40's and have hauled out quarters on elk more than once. It is rough even for the young. How far away from the roads do I need to get to get into the elk typically?

I usually hunt a fair distance from any road, including two tracts. I also eventually get away from the established trail system that most fellows follow, including the horse guys. A couple of miles on an established trail and then another mile or so away from it into rough country would be a good guess. Sometimes I go much further in. The best hunting is usually the places that horses will not go. Third season weather dictates everything at that elevation.

I debone the elk to pack it out in about three trips. It is easy to hurt yourself on those steep slopes with too heavy of a pack.

That road from RG res to Beartown is a tad rough...no way I take my 2 year old pickup on that. A side by side would be perfect for many of those roads.

I hunted it in Archery season. You could have a lot of snow in 3rd rifle...since that whole unit is bloody high. We were hunting between 10,700-12,500.It semi to me that RG res is something like 9,200.

I do think a guy can kill a bull in there right off the road....though we were packed into the wilderness making a big loop in there towing a couple horses.

Worth noting; that unit has dedicated ATV trails where you cannot use your Side by side- that steel gate is 50"-52" wide- I think. Those trails get you into some good country.

>

Thanks Beendare, I have a John Deere Gator which is 62 inches wide but I can provision my brother's 4 wheeler to get me into some of those roads.

Get yourself the motor vehicle use map at the local FS- its free- or at least it used to be. That should show what you need.

Do any of you have any info or contacts on outfits that offer drop camps on this unit?
Renting horses is probably your best bet.

Only 2 outfitters in there that I know of and the one Sammy Frazier either sold or quit A few yrs ago.

The other one has a camp in the Weiminche where the Utes come together… I just can’t remember his name, sorry.

Frazier has been around for a long time and is a good outfit. I have spent a lot of time over the years in Mineral County and I don't remember anyone ever saying anything bad about Frazier's outfit. They would be my choice for a guide in 76.
If I remember right, Dick Davis is Sammy's son-in-law and has been guiding that area for many years himself.

Greg at Freeman’s Guest Ranch on 149 offers drop camps. He packed out an elk for me bout 5 years ago. I believe it’s called Lone Ridge now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom