Unit 81 deer tag...

Doug711

Had a buddy draw a 4th season colorado deer tag just south of Wyoming 81 deer, planned on scouting for him so I figured why not try to draw a Wyoming tag as I was going to be down there, now I have two areas to scout! Looking to hear from any deer hunters who have hunted unit 81 the past few years. I Will probably spend some time bow hunting prior to the gun season... any insights about how your hunts went and what did not go well would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Doug

Had a buddy draw a 4th season colorado deer tag just south of Wyoming 81 deer, planned on scouting for him so I figured why not try to draw a Wyoming tag as I was going to be down there, now I have two areas to scout! Looking to hear from any deer hunters who have hunted unit 81 the past few years. I Will probably spend some time bow hunting prior to the gun season... any insights about how your hunts went and what did not go well would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Doug
I drew 81 as well with 6 points. I've never hunted it before, so I'm no help. Good luck!

The deer stay in Colorado until the Wyoming deer hunting season is over then migrate into 81 around mid October. They then stay safe in Wyoming and slowly proceed to their Winter Range. Many elk hunters see some great bucks in Wyoming but they come in after the Wyoming deer season is closed and avoid the Colorado rifle hunts. There is a also decent resident population in 81 and you will have a fun hunt.

The deer stay in Colorado until the Wyoming deer hunting season is over then migrate into 81 around mid October. They then stay safe in Wyoming and slowly proceed to their Winter Range. Many elk hunters see some great bucks in Wyoming but they come in after the Wyoming deer season is closed and avoid the Colorado rifle hunts. There is a also decent resident population in 81 and you will have a fun hunt.
Kinda funny how F and G have the late season in Colorado ( which we will be hunting) as many of the deer migrate to Wyoming and Wyoming ends the season just in time as the deer from Colorado show up! Looking forward to both hunts, going to be a very busy fall....Thanks

Kinda funny how F and G have the late season in Colorado ( which we will be hunting) as many of the deer migrate to Wyoming and Wyoming ends the season just in time as the deer from Colorado show up! Looking forward to both hunts, going to be a very busy fall....Thanks
Deer are fast learners and I think it was 2013 when the Platte River herd went limited quota and a shortened season. Within 2-3 years the deer figured out it was a safe haven in Wyoming after early October deer season was over. There once was a late season deer hunt with something like 25 permits but they also discontinued that around the same time. Some big bucks were taken when they had the late hunt and personally I wish they should reinitiate it again as Colorado is getting a free lunch off Wyoming by having deer Winter in WyomIng which never get hunted here.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you! Unfortunately had my younger sister pass away and a very good friend pass away a week later so only got in the unit for two days, saw some decent deer but not what I was looking for, lots of elk and some good bulls. Unfortunately this ended up being a tough year for me…
Oh man I'm sorry about your sister and your friend that's terrible.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you! Unfortunately had my younger sister pass away and a very good friend pass away a week later so only got in the unit for two days, saw some decent deer but not what I was looking for, lots of elk and some good bulls. Unfortunately this ended up being a tough year for me…
Sorry for your loss!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom