Unit 9 elk and the rut

EuchreFromMN

Hey all, new guy here from MN. I drew the late season muzzleloader for unit 9. I know most aren't optimistic of the unit but this will be my first elk hunt and I am pretty excited, even if I just end up walking around for a few days. I've been practicing all summer with my muzzleloader, rucking, escouting, even flew down for a weekend to get a feel of the unit.

Curious if anyone has an idea if they are done rutting? My buddy who lives near Albuquerque wasn't sure about that.

They are near done, all mature bulls have moved off cows a week or more ago, smaller bulls still bugling with cows but that is slowing off too. This was south of there so could be completely done there

Shoot it would have been helpful pinpointing them, thanks for the quick response. Anyone by chance hunt 9 for one of the earlier seasons and can comment on how the herd is doing?

Unit 9 is tough , the majority of elk are in the Floyd Lee Ranch , they call it the "Dance Hall" and unfortunately they rarely come off the huge property .Im sure theres still some off and around it tho...

Unit 9 is tough , the majority of elk are in the Floyd Lee Ranch , they call it the "Dance Hall" and unfortunately they rarely come off the huge property .Im sure theres still some off and around it tho...
It’s just a shame that NMDGF allows Floyd Lee to use air assets to drive elk onto his land.

Take lots of food and beer and just go camping. Hate to say it but there are only about 3 elk on mount Taylor. It's a shame how that unit went to hell in a hand basket. Hope u can turn up a bull but your chances are very slim.

I just drove a big chunk of Unit 9 yesterday while trying to assist some southbound CDT hikers. I didn't see a single elk. The hikers that I talked with hadn't seen any either. All that tells me though is that during hunting season, elk will avoid areas that have a lot a human traffic, so you may want to determine where the CDT trail is and then not waste too much of your hunting time too close to it.

Surprisinly, I had to learn the same hard lesson for myself this year in Unit 51. We had been hunting near the CDT in areas where I had seen elk last year while hiking it, but I didn't see any elk or fresh sign of elk at all until we finally wised up and moved into an area that was a good five miles from the CDT. That took us three days to figure out, and I was able to tag a small 5X5 in the last hour of the last day.

Per my hunt that ended on the 18th, the bulls were still bugling a little bit, but I'd be suspicious that any bugles you might hear now are from humans. I would still carry a cow call though. If nothing else, it makes for good "sound camouflage" as you try to sneak through all the newly fallen leaves.

I wish you luck.

It’s just a shame that NMDGF allows Floyd Lee to use air assets to drive elk onto his land.
Floyd Lee uses "Air Assets" to drive elk onto their land??? That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Where do you get this info? I'm asking because I guide there every year

Floyd Lee uses "Air Assets" to drive elk onto their land??? That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Where do you get this info? I'm asking because I guide there every year
IMG_4824.gif

Every year

Oh were you one of the guides on Dan Statons (elk shape) video of harassing him last year?

I had a 9 tag two years ago and heard/saw that helo every morning. Also saw FLR hands using trucks and horns to drive Elk off the fence line.

If that is the most ridiculous thing you have heard than welcome to 2023 cause you’ve had your head the sand for a bit. Since you have been gone muzzy hunters can’t use magnification but bow hunters can. Ha ha jk. So I was up there a couple years ago with some friends and we witnessed it during the first archery hunt.

We had aerial assets fly over the big valley at Valle Vidal a few years back driving all the elk out and up the mountain. Totally illegal to harass game. Not healthy for them

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom