Unit 9 Elk (Y?all weren?t lying)

PthLesTrvld

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-19 AT 10:16PM (MST)[p]Hey y?all, after having hunted Taylor since I was aged 12 up to leaving for the service, and the two years following my separation; I've always had favor on that mountain. Well... fast forward nine years since hunting that unit and hearing/reading over and over ?there are no elk in unit 9? I was skeptical. Ive wanted to hunt Taylor for muleys since I got back and finally got my archery tag this year along with an elk tag the same dates. After having scouted moderately this summer I am truly saddened at the state of the elk herd there. In aspen groves, deep canyons, and spring ridges I would almost always find elk I have spotted TWO elk in my entire scouting! Now I have been staying in areas I know decent Mules to range in; however, I've always seen elk in these same ranges. I'm speculating the Upper East canyons to still have a few more than most areas for this unit. I'm just honestly shocked and amazed at the herd management in this unit. I ponder why they haven't implemented conservation measures like they did for the deer back in the late 90?s. Truly sad

Unfortunately after there were opportunity hunts created a few years ago elk have were wiped out and have never recovered!! Sad because back in earlier 2000?s it was loaded with elk and such a fun hunt.

That is truly unfortunate. I last hunted there in 2009 and passed on one of the most unique 5x I've ever seen, couldn't quite close the distance on a 360+ 6x, passed I don't even know how many cows and young bulls, and finally choked my shot on another 6x. If I had know then what was to come I'd have appreciated the opportunities much more. As they say ?Gone are the days...?

Yup, that unit went to hell in a handbasket. We would at least see activity near the fence lines but now I don't even think those elk come off those ranches very often. Used to always see big bucks also but could never draw that tag. It was always our last choice archery pick and we would always draw it. But like said before it's been a good 15 years at least since I've been back. Guess you can always take out a wild horse, heard they make for a good stew and throw rug. Lol

Been successful the last three years with muley. Freezer still has fair amount of deer carne. Might just have to consider throwing some hoss flesh in there, haha. Always loved watching them up on the baldies. Even the deer isn't what it is was. When is was closed for deer tags seeing a 200 class buck was almost certain. Saw one (maybe) 200, and couldn't triangulate his movement. Never saw him again after the first time.

I'll tell y?all; there's some darn good turkey still. Maybe I shouldn't point that out. They?ll be gone next. Soon we'll all be eating coyote steaks.

Yeah I remember hunting the "checker board" areas as a kid and there was elk all over. Use to be one of the funner hunts with all the action.

Too many licenses plus Game and Fish was dumping all the problem bears out of Albuquerque during calving season. Too many license plus bears and yotes killing calves, tanked that herd.

Buy a bear tag and go kill one, that's the best thing you can do for that elk herd

I remember the checkerboard of days old. That was when the only pressure and stress came by way of Floyd Lee?s cow punchers taking whizzing warning shots at you for being too close to boundary lines and the helos pushing the herds back into the ranch.

Was just looking over my tag and realized that the Marquez WMA is open for the deer hunt. Never hunter that WMA since the archery elk tags I've always gotten exclude it. Hmmmm?

Looking at road maps and google earth. Any opinions as to whether it's worth the trip to Marquez-WMA for deer scouting or am I better sticking up top where i?ve been covering? Definitely have found deer where I've scouted; just not the class I was hoping for. If I really needed the meat and didn't care about taking a young buck I'd be golden, haha.

I could really use the elk meat, but trying to find a mature bull in 9 would be time better spent looking for Sasquatch.

If your looking to fill the freezer go to Costco. Lol the only thing you're gonna be eating is tag soup after that hunt.
Just go up up there with not much expectations and hell you may come out with a 350 and a 200 . You never know.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-19 AT 09:55PM (MST)[p]... Maybe I bring home a Sasquatch and make a $$$$$$$ selling it to Enquirer??? That could fund my guided hunts to Alaska and New Zealand ?? ??

Seriously though; I am always a meat hunter 1st. Would it not be irresponsible to harvest a cow out of this unit if given the opportunity? I never shy at the first legal shot ?Never pass up the first day what you'd take on the last? is how I was mentored. I've just gained perspective from reading all y?alls posts about conserving young males. Seems in a unit with such a week herd I ought to pass on a cow even if blessed with an opportunity. Hard choice for me; that's why I respect the input from veteran hunters.

As mentioned above. Just go have a good time. Enjoy the privilege of having drawn a tag and being outdoors. You were fortunate to have drawn a tag, Many others weren't so lucky in drawing any tags.
Good luck!

I would give it hell to try and find a bull. Get a bear tag also and maybe chase a bear. Then shoot a cow near the end of the hunt if the opportunity presents itself. You never know what u will find. Just go down the nastiest canyons that's where you will find the few elk on that mountain.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The elk herd has not gone to ##### because of bow hunters killing a few cows. They slaughtered them on the high power and muzzle hunts with nearly unlimited tags for cows.

There are only 6 cows and no bulls left. The cows don't even go into estrus anymore as their are no bulls to poke them. They just walk around like zombies on their Iphones
LOL

Thank y?all for the suggestions and responses. Turns out the Triple Nickel fire burned the remaining last 6 cows this weekend. Good news is there will be a matanza for the 10 hunters with deer tags headed up for the hunt this week ???

There you go Ropinfool, u don't want hunters shooting cows now they are piles of ash. Not even the coyotes got to eat. Lol
Good luck on your deer hunt.

I bet Ropinfool is buddy buddy with Floyd Lee and gets to hunt his ranch, then during the day gets a little healing practice in with those fancy remote control chutts. LOL

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom