Unit 9 Muzzy?

Rocketeer

Wanted to take my brother in law on his first elk hunt. Drew Unit 9 as third choice. I have not hunted it since '08 when I was there with my daughter. She took a small bull not too far from Ranger Tank.

Any updates on the unit, elk numbers, etc?

Thanks

Sorry to hear this. The elk on Taylor have become non existent. But who knows u may get lucky if a bull steps out of Floyd Lee or the L Bar ranch.

I'm sorry to say, but Taylor is just not what it used to be. G&F slaughtered the herd up there. There a little no elk, occasionally you'll get lucky and find a small group or a cow, but the bulls are very small. There are some toads but they're more than likely on private.

I've hunted there the past 8 years, and hardly see anything. And that's with scouting, taking every backroad, hiking every valley and mountain side.

My advice is to just stay close to private, where you might catch them jumping the fences early morning or late evening. Best of luck to you. Oh, and thanks for taking my tag ;)

I've been hunting turkeys on that mountain the last several years and the most I ever see is a cow or two. Heading up again this weekend--I'll pm you if we see anything interesting.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-17 AT 01:59PM (MST)[p]Used to be a good herd up there in the northwest corner of the unit. But now, as of the last time I was there(2015), the herd is pretty much wiped out. Saw two cows that hunt. Hunted top to bottom. I hope you have better luck than we did.

*We are all in the same boat, just
wishing to be hunting right now!*

Thanks guys for the posts and information. No matter what the outcome, I'll be in the woods hunting and spending time away from work!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom