unit question

R

rifle666

I have a question. Any helpful info would be great.
my dad and I have Max points in WYO. (like everyone else)

We have always put in for unit 102, only because I have alot of friends who have hunted it one or more times.

So, should we be looking at another unit? I have heard 87 is ok. but I have zero information.

We have horses so G and H are not out of the question, although I don't really want to go through the hassle of them.

any good ideas?

If you already have info on 102 on where/how to hunt it then why start over in another unit especially if you're going DIY. I'd stay the course, you might even draw this year who knows.

Thanks for the reply. My only concern with 102 is the steady decline in bucks on the unit. It seems the bad winter 3 years ago hurt that unit in particular. Or was this overstated?

The herd did take a hit over winter kill but the wyoming game and fish just did a video on youtube on that particular herd titled wyoming range deer herd if you wanna look it up, as for 87 Eastmans just bumped it up to a blue chip unit so the draw odds are going to be crap, while they bumped 102 down to a green unit so i would stick to your guns

LAST EDITED ON Feb-29-12 AT 03:20PM (MST)[p]
"With Eastman's downgrading 102 you just
might have a chance."

Ya, go for the good feeling...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-29-12 AT 04:21PM (MST)[p]4. who does everyone turn to when they need something done and done fast? From feeding deer ,Elk and Turkeys in the snow, to Buying equipment to restore habitat. The SFW.

rifle666, I suggest you turn to SFW, they can tell you about Wyoming hunting units while they walk on water...

Why hunt Wyoming when SFW is doing such a bang-up job in Utah with the deer herds???

Just sayin'.

Why does everybody think that every buck entered in the wyoming trucks and cars buck contest is killed in 102. 30hart you do realize that the buck contest is for bucks from the entire state of wyoming to be entered not just from 102? Just because its based in rocksprings does not mean that every deer put in is from 102.

Duh, no sh$t SSakitas, but if you go back before 2010/11 they did list the unit on most of the bucks taken...gives us a good idea what the residents are taking outta there and what the general horn makeup is. Especially since no one on this freaking site posts a follow-up post after the season on how they did let alone a picture (only those that stick around all year)...don't get me started again.

BuzzH

Like I have said before. a simple post with a simple question always goes the same way. few ruin it for the rest.

If you want to contribute By all means comment away. if not keep you comments to yourself.

And thanks again to those who are willing to answer. I am not greedy by any means I'm not out for any state records. I like to see bucks. I shoot more with a camera than anything else.

Just looking for some insights. and updates on a unit a know a little about.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-29-12 AT 09:06PM (MST)[p]You asked for "any good ideas"...

I had one, ask your SFW buds.

You might consider going for an area or region you can draw as a second choice, and staying in the max points pool. Right now, I'm not feeling certain any areas in Wyoming are worth buring all of those points. That said, I'd likley still apply for the late hunt in 82 if you want to try this year. I'm not a big fan of either 102 or 87 because I feel they are overhyped. 87 has some good bucks but the winter habitat is not great and the genetics are not the best either.

Maybe in a few years things will turn around in Wyoming. Right now, there's not much difference between the top and leftover areas in my opinion. I'd hunt ever year, but I'd find a spot you can hunt and have fun in while still building points.

Stick w/ the unit you know. If you're most familiar w/ 102, then stay with it. Folks, whether they're locals, outfitters, or non residents, kill mature animals year after year because they're familiar with the area, not because they followed a magazine's recommendation.

Going for a general tag until you can pull your limited quota unit is also good advice.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom