Unit with most elk?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I have 17 NR elk points so I am in that realm where I may draw any year now. I don't have to kill a huge elk. I am more about seeing lots of animals and shooting a lesser bull compared to seeing fewer elk but having the chance on running into a larger class bull. Regardless of where I hunt elk, I would not have it in me to pass on a 340" bull....more than likely. Just looking for some friendly advice on which unit(s) I should be considering. I appreciate any info....thanks a bunch.

Based on published numbers: 061, 071 (easier to draw) | 076, 077, 079, 081 (moderate to draw) | 111 - 115 (hard to draw)

There's more road access in 061, 071 ( = road hunters) but there are bigger bulls to be found if you can find pockets away from the roads.

Based on published numbers: 061, 071 (easier to draw) | 076, 077, 079, 081 (moderate to draw) | 111 - 115 (hard to draw)

There's more road access in 061, 071 ( = road hunters) but there are bigger bulls to be found if you can find pockets away from the roads.
I appreciate that info....don't have a map in front of me but is 61,71 Jarbidge?

111-115 is has a bunch of elk & some toads for bulls. If you opt to lean toward applying for & actually draw, hopefully it is soon. Like others have shared with me, 111 holds IMO your better odds at locating / harvesting a 350” or better bull. They are absolutely there & there are a lot of them.
Now that I have hunted the unit, there are 3 things that I can definitely say that I would have done differently.
1. I would have spent more time tracking & getting physically ready for the hunt. I’m in pretty good shape for my age, but I don’t ascend rock covered 45 degree angles every day either.
2. If I decided to hang my hat in 111, after locating the bull that I wanted to pursue I would get up in there & set up a spike camp so I wouldn’t have to ascend / descend that mountain every day. That mountain is no joke & by hunting from a spike camp you can save your energy & spend more time hunting. Hopefully you have a little mountain goat DNA in your blood because 111 was built for dudes in the 20’s to 40’s range, it’s not very friendly on the 50+ crowd. Another MM member Buckhorn, drew this tag in his early 50’s & he said that he’s still sore from that mountain. Lol
3. I would have spent more time scouting. It is a really big area, but I think there are other areas of the unit other than 111 where you could locate a 350” type bull to hunt without having to go to the extremes that 111 affords.
That being said, I can’t personally say which NV unit is better than another because I have only hunted 111-115, but I can definitely say that it’s a great area. You will see a lot of bulls & some really good bulls. Your odds of closing the deal on a OIL bull are really good with a little patience & some hard work.

As a Nevada resident I have 18 points. Wife drew with 2 points. We seen over 200 one day and it’s one of the areas with the least amount of tags and lowest population but they are the most congested area’s. I recommend that you call the regional biologist for the areas and see what they have to say.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom