Units 49 Elk and 63 Deer

elkhunter7pt

I'm a non-resident and looking at these units. Can anyone tell me what quality of hunts you can have in these units and amount of public land available where the animals are. Thanks for any help.

I hunt 63 for deer so I won't be too specific. Avoid the east end of the unit, it gets hammered by elk hunters. I think the second season is better for deer. By third rifle the bucks have moved onto private. It's fairly remote on some of the eastern BLM land. There is a bit of BLM that is landlocked. The area is prone to freak storms that can drop a ton of rain or snow on you. Trophy quality is fair, hunt hard and smart and learn the unit and you will have a good hunt. Best of luck.

I've never hunted there, but 49 is limited draw for elk. You'll need PPs. It's rugged country and should have some nice bulls.

I know 49 a little bit and it can be great for elk.
I work in that area and hear alot of the locals stories.
Archery-2 points 60%
Muzz-5 points 71%
1st Rifle-5 points 42%
I know of atleast 2 bulls lost in the archery season that of course would have gone over 400.
Saw pictures of a muzzy bull a young kid shot that I was told went 371.
49 is a big unit and very rugged any later hunts you can get snowed out very easily.A poacher a couple years ago shot a bull about this time of year that was supposed to be a 390 bull,
I never saw the score in the article but the bull was huge.
Thank you
Rick

Sorry I gave you the Res, points to draw.
NR
Archery-2 ponts 60%
Muzz-7 points 100%
1st Rifle-6 points 31%
Was looking for the article about that big bull that was poached and saw that 2 bulls where killed Christmas eve by Fairplay this year.
Thank You
Rick

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom