UT Trail camera Ban Reversal??

elkantlers

Long Time Member
Somebody has their pantys in a bunch. lol

tcban.png

tcban2.png

I like to view trail cam pictures. With Utah's population increase and more technology we need to give our limited wildlife resource some help. Let us see what impacts the current law change will have on improving or maintaining quality animals that we all love to view and hunt is my opinion.

10-20 years ago we did just fine without trail cameras all over the place. You can still use them until July31.

I suddenly find myself more okay with the ban as well. I didn't think it was going to impact herd numbers much, and still don't know that it will, but if it causes some of the big outfitters to renew their Vagisil prescriptions, sweet. Interesting how they are suddenly concerned with public opinions as well.

I actually thought some of the big name outfitters might be behind this ban because they felt the "average joe" was killing some of the upper end animals due to trail cameras. By banning trail cams, they could limit the "average joe's" ability to put eyes on the bigger animals, while they could still deploy their minions to be "human trail cameras" and still be as effective on trophy animals.

I guess this "cry closet" on social media dispels my suspicions :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

"millions of Utahns".

Doyle needs to learn to count.

FYI

After Heaton posted the email of the WB members who voted against cams, being the guy I am, I emailed Heaton, to tell him I thought his support of cams was a conflict of interest with his outfitting buisness.

He spent the next 5days, emailing me back just indignant as hell that I'd suggest he was looking at his business model first.

So I'm not shocked, these 2tools suddenly became "rights" activists

I just got off the phone with Staci Coons.

Despite 2years of this, RAC meetings, WB meetings, etc.

It took JUST 10 emails to reopen a vote.

Bet you can't guess who those 10 are.

No worries though, your participation in the process is valuable. Until of course the corporate class finds a lawyer to look for grey area

Next time one of these clowns talk about biology, remember, this stunt is through the states rules, NOT DWR.

Be interesting to see the support once UT goes ultra-lib and they start to throw bans in on magazines that limit them to 15, 10, or even 7 rounds...

I just got off the phone with Staci Coons.

Despite 2years of this, RAC meetings, WB meetings, etc.

It took JUST 10 emails to reopen a vote.

Bet you can't guess who those 10 are.

No worries though, your participation in the process is valuable. Until of course the corporate class finds a lawyer to look for grey area

Next time one of these clowns talk about biology, remember, this stunt is through the states rules, NOT DWR.
Are they legitimately reconsidering the camera ban?

I think if anything they will tweak it. The legislature made them do something.

They went off script from the wording presented and passed by the RAC's. I think it was Covey who said every time they do that they have to come back and revisit it because they screw it up.

Are they legitimately reconsidering the camera ban?

The State doesn't see the RAC/WBprocess as an opportunity to speak.

So if anything comes out of the RAC/WB process, it can be challenged as not being an open process if Staci gets 10 emails/people saying so.

So no, the state isn't for one thing or the other. Doyle and Wade(amongst others, one of whom sits on the WB) found a loophole to force the process, AGAIN. The hop would be that they can strongarm yes votes to no votes.

The freaking tools needed 10 emails.

So of course they are calling for her to be bombarded and flooded.

Fun thing is IF the ban is overturned, it takes just 10 people to force ANOTHER revote.

Fun watching all the dudes that "support conservation", and profit from it, now wanting an end run on the DWR/WB.

What a joke. More than anything now this should let people know that the cameras need to be banned. It shows how much these HUGE operations value the cameras. Yeah like we really need your outdoor pictures to look at all the time, come on now give me a break.It's the outfitters like mossback that go overkill on everything and creates the need for limitations that need to be put in place. So mossback is worried they won't be able to please their clients now that they can't have a thousand cameras on every Le unit and every water hole. What a freaking joke, if the wildlife board buckles under the pressure I have lost respect for them. If you all remember I gave them a shout out a couple weeks ago for doing what was right. Hope they stay strong.

Last edited:
Money Talks!

And What Has F'D Up Everything in This World?

Money with some GREED To Go Along with it!

Last edited:
IndexUtah Code
Title 23Wildlife Resources Code of Utah
Chapter 13General Provisions
Section 18Use of a computer or other device to remotely hunt wildlife prohibited -- Trail cameras.
(Effective 5/5/2021)

Effective 5/5/2021
23-13-18. Use of a computer or other device to remotely hunt wildlife prohibited -- Trail cameras.

(1)A person may not use a computer or other device to remotely control the aiming and discharge of a firearm or other weapon for hunting an animal.
(2)A person who violates Subsection (1) is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
(3)
(a)As used in this Subsection (3), "trail camera" means a device that is not held or manually operated by a person and is used to capture images, video, or location data of wildlife using heat or motion to trigger the device.
(b)In accordance with Title 63G, Chapter 3, Utah Administrative Rulemaking Act, the Wildlife Board shall make rules regulating the use of trail cameras.
(c)The division shall provide an annual report to the Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment Interim Committee regarding rules made or changed in accordance with this Subsection (3).

Amended by Chapter 177, 2021 General Session

People throw the word "ban" around like it's a good thing.

It should always be alarming when government bans something that, quite frankly, is actually harmless...

Yeah, because there wasn't surveys showing the majority supported it.

It is alarming when folks pretend there was no support

Maybe the camera company’s are feeling this is going to effect their bottom line. It always comes down to the dollars.

So what other laws do we want changed? If it only takes 10 emails to get a revote we may as well get some other stuff changed while we're at it.
Not being able to hunt deer at night with a spot light has always chapped my a$$. Good grief, our WB is lame.

Not being able to hunt deer at night with a spot light has always chapped my a$$.
Damn Commies always takin' our freedoms!

Next they'll probably want to BAN hunting out of season and in the wrong unit, too!

We should all be able to shoot any animal we want, any time that we want. 'Merica!

So what other laws do we want changed? If it only takes 10 emails to get a revote we may as well get some other stuff changed while we're at it.
Not being able to hunt deer at night with a spot light has always chapped my a$$. Good grief, our WB is lame.

When she told me that, I was speechless for a bit. She agreed, but said that is something the legislature can fix.

I'm thinking I need 9 dudes with me, I'm not a fan of CWMU.

Or the expo.

I emailed the WB yesterday. Told the yes guys I would appreciate them not getting strong armed by the corporate class.

Then the no guys I challenged to stand up for the RAC/WB process, and slap down this political process.

I really went after Heaton. After all, it was his post that cried about how the "will of the people" wasn't served. I reminded him of that, when I told him 10 people should over turn "the will of the people".

I'm sure he will vote against his buisness after that???

Most the time you're right but I will have to disagree with you in this case. Not everything is black and white.

Come talk to me when they begin to erode away other stuff that means more to you.

I'm already living it. You're not. Your viewpoint is still "innocent"...

Come talk to me when they begin to erode away other stuff that means more to you.

I'm already living it. You're not. Your viewpoint is still "innocent"...
Trust me I know where you're coming from. However the line has to be drawn somewhere with technology and hunting. As far as hunting goes I don't care what they take away from me. If you start talking about basic freedoms outside of hunting then I will draw the line. I would hunt with the freaking spear if I had to. Hunting is a hobby.

Trust me I know where you're coming from. However the line has to be drawn somewhere with technology and hunting. As far as hunting goes I don't care what they take away from me. If you start talking about basic freedoms outside of hunting then I will draw the line. I would hunt with the freaking spear if I had to. Hunting is a hobby.

The line that needs to be drawn is average hunter vs corporate hunting.

Average dudes running a couple cams, a bag of salt, ain't the issue.

Mossback running thousands of cams, semi loads of bait, paid bounty systems, IS THE ISSUE.

Outfitters who have decided they OWN every LE unit, regardless of whether they have a client there or not, IS THE ISSUE.

OUR #1 PROBLEM, is the corporate hunting class.

At some point dudes will need to stop the fan boy crap, and see corporate hunting for the damage it's created, and perpetuates.

Doyle don't give a chit about a single guy not scratching him a check. This tantrum of his proves it. Time for dudes to stop protecting him "cuz he's one of us", HE AINT.

So, when they start to take away hunting?

Lot of states right now are being threatened with the loss of seasons and species. Some already have them in place and they all started with something as simple as banning tech or making you hunt with a spear.

The platform of limiting tech is purely a preference and personal bias...

Lot of states right now are being threatened with the loss of seasons and species. Some already have them in place and they all started with something as simple as banning tech or making you hunt with a spear.

So? Allowing Doyle to run a couple thousand cams, semi loads of apples, FLIR, and pay bounties, is going to stop cat hunting?

Where is the logic in that?

They can still share their photos with millions. Just not after the July deadline. Everyone and the outfitters can still put out cameras and see what there is that year. Just have to personally keep track of them after the deadline from the mountain not their kitchen table or couch.

Just saying.

I've never owned a trail camera. Hunting wouldn't be much fun if I knew exactly what was there before I started hunting. That's part of the mystery and excitement. I'll never be known as a big-time hunter, and I'm cool with that. I don't define success that way. A room full of trophies on the wall is just stuff your grandkids will have to haul to the dump someday.

I've never owned a trail camera. Hunting wouldn't be much fun if I knew exactly what was there before I started hunting. That's part of the mystery and excitement. I'll never be known as a big-time hunter, and I'm cool with that. I don't define success that way. A room full of trophies on the wall is just stuff your grandkids will have to haul to the dump someday.

I've yet to actually kill an animal based on trail camera knowledge. I don't use them much, very rarely in fact.

That doesn't mean my preferences should be imposed on others though and that's the real crux to this "ban"...

I've yet to actually kill an animal based on trail camera knowledge. I don't use them much, very rarely in fact.

That doesn't mean my preferences should be imposed on others though and that's the real crux to this "ban"...
I totally agree.

I was totally for the ban in Nevada until I figured that it only aided to the guides. I have two never have put the out unless I’m on vacation at my house for surveillance. Got some risky photos of the gal watching my house one time!

You Sharing?

I was totally for the ban in Nevada until I figured that it only aided to the guides. I have two never have put the out unless I’m on vacation at my house for surveillance. Got some risky photos of the gal watching my house one time!

The group of us that is pushing for a trail cam ban is the group that loves hunting, and wants to make it fair Chase, and make it better and make more hunting opportunities, not end it. We are not the antis here. I have ran trail cams in the past. I am glad to never use mine again if that helps increase quality and quantity of hunting. Like I said, I am willing to give up a lot, for more and better hunting. Are you willing to sacrifice?

If we don't sacrifice we will have to cut more and more tags, until such a small population can actually hunt that we will not have much power. If you have 300,000 people hunting big game every year that's a pretty large voice considering all their families are most likely involved too. Keep increasing technology and success rates and the number of tags goes down and down and down until you have such a small percentage that there's not near as much power in the voice of say 30,000 people. Hunting has to remain an important part of Utah's heritage.

Yes yes, I know that we need to do a lot more and get some help from mother nature to boost our herds. I'm all for all that stuff but somethings we could control very easily are technology, season dates, tag numbers, and weapon choice. I could be forgetting something.

Last edited:
Chute planes, drones, game cameras, radio/phone contact, driving around without a rifle in the truck at night spotlighting bucks and bulls during the season....they all should go!

I wonder what some renown Utah guides would say if it suddenly became illegal to spotlight at night during the season without a rifle in the truck?

There comes a point where some of this is downright unethical....and definitely not fair chase!

I’m with the no regulations crowd here…..we already gave enough with all those rules like season dates, weapons restrictions, unit boundaries, and bag limits and such.:rolleyes:

The sport is, has been, and will be regulated. And not all the rules are bad for the average guy.

Unless you’re signed up with one of the outfits that publicly said they might not be able to find you a good bull anymore.:cry:

The group of us that is pushing for a trail cam ban is the group that loves hunting, and wants to make it fair Chase, and make it better and make more hunting opportunities, not end it. We are not the antis here. I have ran trail cams in the past. I am glad to never use mine again if that helps increase quality and quantity of hunting. Like I said, I am willing to give up a lot, for more and better hunting. Are you willing to sacrifice?

If we don't sacrifice we will have to cut more and more tags, until such a small population can actually hunt that we will not have much power. If you have 300,000 people hunting big game every year that's a pretty large voice considering all their families are most likely involved too. Keep increasing technology and success rates and the number of tags goes down and down and down until you have such a small percentage that there's not near as much power in the voice of say 30,000 people. Hunting has to remain an important part of Utah's heritage.

Yes yes, I know that we need to do a lot more and get some help from mother nature to boost our herds. I'm all for all that stuff but somethings we could control very easily are technology, season dates, tag numbers, and weapon choice. I could be forgetting something.
fact.gif

AZ's ban actually makes some sense.

It's comical that UT seems to be about the only state in the west that is having game management problems to the point they need to ban photography equipment because of its lethality.

And then there are those that say they don't care what other states do because it has no impact on them in their own state, yet we see that states do adapt what other states do as well...

Email the Wildlife board and let them know how you feel.

10 minutes of your time sending e-mails will do more than 10 days of fighting on MM.

Kinda shocking a principle of a school would openly post he would steal trail cameras he sees after some arbitrary date. How can one be so closed minded to think only hunters use trail cameras? And to think someone sees this guy fit to run a school?

And don’t kid yourself . You’re not pushing anything. You’ve done nothing to push it one way or the other. Posting on MM’s doesn’t get stuff done.

AZ's ban actually makes some sense.

It's comical that UT seems to be about the only state in the west that is having game management problems to the point they need to ban photography equipment because of its lethality.

And then there are those that say they don't care what other states do because it has no impact on them in their own state, yet we see that states do adapt what other states do as well...
Both states bans went into effect like a week apart.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom