Utah bears

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
Having never hunted bears but wanting to some day, my son and I both have 9 bear points in Utah. I know this years permits are already issued, but I am curious what some of you with Utah bear knowledge would say is the best place to find a big bruin?
We are thinking archery over bate would be the first choice way to go for us.
Any thoughts?
Can you tell I am getting bored waiting for the draws to happen? ha.

Nebo or the san juan would be the best bets, with the amount of points you have you should be able to draw either

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Choose a unit close to where you live if you are going to be baitng, its a lot of work and if you get bears hitting they eat a lot which requires you to constantly restock the baits. From what i have seen there are good bear numbers in most all of the units and you can draw about any of them so I would choose one close to home!

Just go find a herd of "wild" horses. Shoot the biggest fattest mare out there and give her a few days to stink up.

Bingo, the best bear bait station you could ever hope for!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-11 AT 08:35PM (MST)[p]I definitely see the wisdom in baiting close to home. I live along the Wasatch Front and my son is up in Logan. Any suggestions on good units to find decent size bears close to either one of us.
How about other ways to hunt bruins? I am not real big on chasing them with dogs unless someone could convince me otherwise.
I am not real sure many bears live out on the wild horse range?

There are some canyons down near Price and Helper that hold the horses in them, and there are bears there too. Also in the Strawberry Ridges area there are horses, and lots of bears there too. But take a couple of spare tires, yes I said tires plural, the roads back in there have sharp rocks.

Am I giving away to much info? Maybe I better just shut up . . .

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom