Utah County Piebold Elk

I have no information about whether this animal was harvested legally or not, but if it was illegal, I don't care if the elk was brown, piebald, black, or purple. The person should be held accountable for that. The characteristics of the animal are irrelevant to that equation. But, for sake of argument, let's assume it was harvested legally. I would argue the characteristics of the animal are still irrelevant to the equation.

What the heck does anyone here care at that point? A person had an antlerless elk tag and killed an antlerless elk. Whether they did it for the uniqueness of the animal or simply for the meat...who cares? I see on this forum all the time people congratulating hunters for such "cool character" on animals. Why are cow elk immune from that analysis? And who got to decide that?

Some of you on this thread sound like Jimmy Kimmell fake crying on his tv show over Cecil the Lion several years back.

The fake outrage in our society these days never ends man. It gets old fast!

Poached a yearling cow on private property in city limits with a suppressor and 50’ away from a working jobsite … right off my construction acces road while my guys had the day off ….??

Must of been a hell of a hunt , I’m sure you worked your ass off for it !!
Good work hunter …

You must have some serious ties with DNR

Complete bullshit !

Hope ya hang that one in the wall loud and proud or are you just planning on “feeling the freezer “
If this is the case the landowner can still ask the local pd to charge the shooter will knowingly trespassing and discharging a firearm in city limits. Those charges have nothing to do with the dnr and can be enforced by local PD

This isn't targeting Trumps. Trumps were never supposed to be killed, but the Utards found the grey area, so now it's an enforced law, and amazingly, only 9 trumps got shot.

There's not law on color of elk.

This wouldn't be my cup of tea. Yeah, I'd shoot it, on the mtn, in October. But I'm not wild about Jan elk hunts.

I would shoot a cactus head, a spike by 6, any of the cross bred ducks, golden pheasants.

I know where there's a specklebelly I'm trying to get.

Years ago I spent 3 weeks and dozens of miles in the swamp trying to get an Egyptian goose. I know guys that spent time trying to get a pink flamingo, and I tried to join them, but kids🙄

So yeah, it's rare. But I'm more bothered about shooting cow elk in cornfields in Jan.

This isn't targeting Trumps. Trumps were never supposed to be killed, but the Utards found the grey area, so now it's an enforced law, and amazingly, only 9 trumps got shot.

This wouldn't be my cup of tea. Yeah, I'd shoot it, on the mtn, in October. But I'm not wild about Jan elk hunts.

I would shoot a cactus head, a spike by 6, any of the cross bred ducks, golden pheasants.

Years ago I spent 3 weeks and dozens of miles in the swamp trying to get an Egyptian goose. I know guys that spent time trying to get a pink flamingo, and I tried to join them, but kids🙄

So yeah, it's rare. But I'm more bothered about shooting cow elk in cornfields in Jan.
It's because they are in the corn field that they are being targeted.

It's certainly not very "sporty," but these late hunts are designed to kill cow elk in these areas. Period. Seems like it worked just as designed.

I'm not saying it should be outlawed.

I'm just not wild about it.

I'm sure a bunch of folks gave it a name and now all hunters are bad because snowy, or salt, or spot, or whatever it was named is dead.

Like I said. In October I'm shooting it. In January, "in town", no.
It's certainly not very "sporty," but these late hunts are designed to kill cow elk in these areas. Period. Seems like it worked just as designed.

I Wanna See How Niller Deals With Gutting A Cow Elk Mid-January & A 1/2 Grown F'N Calf Plops Out With The GUTS!

Then You Can Tell Us What A GREAT WHITE HUNTER You Are Niller!

And Don't Get Your Blood Pressure All Pumped Up!

You Know I'm F'N with You!

I Wanna See How Niller Deals With Gutting A Cow Elk Mid-January & A 1/2 Grown F'N Calf Plops Out With The GUTS!

Then You Can Tell Us What A GREAT WHITE HUNTER You Are Niller!

And Don't Get Your Blood Pressure All Pumped Up!

You Know I'm F'N with You!
Nobody guts elk anymore

Only 9 trumps were reported. That’s a fact. It’s a huge assumption that’s all that really got shot.

Where was the landowner in all of this? The hunter needs written permission to hunt the property and the DWR cannot authorize a hunt on private property without the landowner's permission. Did the landowner possibly want the elk killed because she was a nuisance with all the onlookers hanging around the property? Or was the landowner accommodating? All the rumors don't add up! In any case, I personally would not have killed her.

Yeah it's totally a mature hunter decision to leave a buck tangled in a fence so it can die a gruesome death struggling for a long time to get free.
A mature hunter would free the deer. There are plenty of videos online of hunters in orange with rifles in their hands doing just that.

Where was the landowner in all of this? The hunter needs written permission to hunt the property and the DWR cannot authorize a hunt on private property without the landowner's permission. Did the landowner possibly want the elk killed because she was a nuisance with all the onlookers hanging around the property? Or was the landowner accommodating? All the rumors don't add up! In any case, I personally would not have killed her.
It appears the Property was recently sold for home development. I imagine it would be pretty easy to get “permission” if you work for the company that purchased the land

A mature hunter would free the deer. There are plenty of videos online of hunters in orange with rifles in their hands doing just that.
And a mature hunter I guess is also able to recognize whether the amount of stress suffered by the buck prior to release (even assuming it can be done safely) will not cause that animal to still run off and die in the next day or three? Please. Just because the animal gets up and wandered off in the feel good videos does not mean it survived the stress of the ordeal. It could. Or it might not. There's a significant number of fatalities from stress in capture programs for relocation or evaluations of herd health, and that's under ideal circumstances with trained biologists and veterinarians on hand to help. I'm pretty sure the stress on an animal being trapped in a fence for who knows how long is a lot worse and has a much higher fatality rate even when "successfully" released.

Not sure how one could even make this an ethics situation. Does the color of ones hide or skin really matter? Maybe that ugly ass piebald ***** was the only elk to give an ethical shot? Maybe the hunter is a true conservationist and can look past hide color?

January elk hunts, what do you expect?

Not sure how one could even make this an ethics situation. Does the color of ones hide or skin really matter? Maybe that ugly ass piebald ***** was the only elk to give an ethical shot? Maybe the hunter is a true conservationist and can look past hide color?

January elk hunts, what do you expect?
Last I checked a cow was a cow. And it’s absolutely no one’s business what cow a person decides to shoot except for the trigger puller. I don’t get how anyone can be mad about this or call it “unethical”. I could see how someone would be mad about intentionally seeking out a collared cow and killing her just for that, but even then that would be a stretch.

Poached a yearling cow on private property in city limits with a suppressor and 50’ away from a working jobsite … right off my construction acces road while my guys had the day off ….??

Good work hunter …

Complete bullshit !

Hope ya hang that one in the wall loud and proud or are you just planning on “feeling the freezer “
Thank you for validating my point on this particular Elk👊

Good work hunter …

Complete bullshit !

Prove it was poached. Also what construction company gives MLK day off?

Is your name Doug?

Hey spj!

Can you Doctor Us A Pic Up With A 360"-380" Rack Upon The Piebald?

Then It'll Be IG Worthy!

Congrats to the well deserving hunter, Hopefully there’ll be a long winded sponsored laden YouTube release or ig drop soon. The Bee Hive State seems to be on a up swing, Hopefully some over zealous slap D Utah county taxi will get the pinto wapiti knocked out and unveiled on a pedestal mount at the Expo.

Thank you for validating my point on this particular Elk👊
What’s your point? That most January cow hunts aren’t hard? That’s kind of the entire point of the whole hunt design. For someone who loves private land hunts as much as you do, I find it ironic you’re mad about this private land hunt and the lack of difficulty surrounding it. Must be only the hunts you participate in that meet your standards. Everyone else is doing it wrong. Or wrong for doing it. Probably both.

You’re still going to stand by the statement made that it’s a calf? You might want to switch what protein powders you snort every day. It’s clearly impacted your eyesight at the very least…

It wasn’t poached. Or it would be all over Facebook. It was shot Saturday afternoon some time… and let’s be honest. Most construction workers don’t “work”. For every 10 guys hired, only about 3 are really worth a s hit.
Gotcha. Didn’t know it was on a Saturday.

Gotcha. Didn’t know it was on a Saturday.
I saw her alive at 11 am Saturday. She got
Smoked some time after that
IMG_4793.jpeg

I saw her alive at 11 am Saturday. She got
Smoked some time after that View attachment 134373

It was definitely killed Saturday. I received the dead pic in a text at 6:08 pm, which was clearly from earlier in the day because it was still very much light in the pic.

Again, I don’t know why people are getting up in arms about this elk being killed. If it was done illegally, smack the person good! Otherwise, everyone needs to build a big giant bridge and get over themselves.

It’s a cow elk for crying out loud!!!

It was definitely killed Saturday. I received the dead pic in a text at 6:08 pm, which was clearly from earlier in the day because it was still very much light in the pic.

Again, I don’t know why people are getting up in arms about this elk being killed. If it was done illegally, smack the person good! Otherwise, everyone needs to build a big giant bridge and get over themselves.

I agree with you, except the cow elk statement. All elk lives matter. Shouldn’t matter if it’s a cow or a bull elk. I could only imagine the uproar if it was big 6x6

You are if you believe only 9 were killed

Didn't see any posts about "deserving one", or "they ain't illegal".

I doubt there was anymore mud stomping than usual. Mainly because there weren't that many "accidents" to start with.

It did cut down the Trump hunters though, them grey trucks did a lot of watching with long lense.

It wasn’t poached. Or it would be all over Facebook. It was shot Saturday afternoon some time… and let’s be honest. Most construction workers don’t “work”. For every 10 guys hired, only about 3 are really worth a s hit.
By 3 ona Saturday there's a case of Modelo down

Didn't see any posts about "deserving one", or "they ain't illegal".

I doubt there was anymore mud stomping than usual. Mainly because there weren't that many "accidents" to start with.

It did cut down the Trump hunters though, them grey trucks did a lot of watching with long lense.
That’s because they couldn’t post about them. I doubt there was many, if any at all stomped prior to this season. They weren’t illegal. Now that they are, I’m sure there was more than 9 that were “not recovered”.

To be fair, I rooted pretty hard for Spidey to make it. Same with the Cemetery buck. I'd probably rooted for her too. But then I enjoy others failures and frustration.

That’s because they couldn’t post about them. I doubt there was many, if any at all stomped prior to this season. They weren’t illegal. Now that they are, I’m sure there was more than 9 that were “not recovered”.
[/QUO

The law didn't change. The penalty did. Same law as always.

34 years and somehow I've made it.

My 13 year old lays out there picking them out.

of course I didn't chase Trumps on PSG so granted, it's easier to not shoot them there too👍😉

I’m somewhat concerned you think two little boys in a tent cuddling would be cute. It does explain some things though.
I’m sure he stayed in cabins, motels and lodges on his private land guiding “adventures”.

I have a pile of tents I could bring down for his grandkids. Could even show him how to set them up. Get some public land hunting in!

I’m sure he stayed in cabins, motels and lodges on his private land guiding “adventures”.

I have a pile of tents I could bring down for his grandkids. Could even show him how to set them up. Get some public land hunting in!
He wouldn’t know what to do without his wifi, mirror or razor.

Then get him in the actual field on public land with 100 other tag holders chasing the same animal as him and by noon on day 1 he’d be hiding in the the corner of an enclosed trailer having a panic attack because he couldn’t go hide behind a locked gate and have tame animals to himself

I have no issue with someone saying they hope an animal survives.

No doubt it would be cool to see that elk or the Cemetery Buck walking around, just as examples. But I’m not angry at the people that legally killed them. It doesn’t bother me in the least.

This is what we do! We kill things. It was said before that the hunter should have killed a different cow and it was selfish to kill this one. I wonder if those other cows in that herd share that opinion? Why don’t their lives matter?

I just don’t see the faux outrage I guess. Like I said, if it was legally taken, and I don’t have any information otherwise, then some people need that big old bridge I mentioned earlier and need to start walking.

Now my avatar is an issue? What a turn this has taken 🤣 aren’t you the idiot claiming a buck as “yours”, chooses to pass, then gets mad when someone else shoots it?
Mad at myself and no one else. Never ever claimed that buck for myself. I was glad for the nice guy that got it. So suck on that for a while.

I have no issue with someone saying they hope an animal survives.

No doubt it would be cool to see that elk or the Cemetery Buck walking around, just as examples. But I’m not angry at the people that legally killed them. It doesn’t bother me in the least.

This is what we do! We kill things. It was said before that the hunter should have killed a different cow and it was selfish to kill this one. I wonder if those other cows in that herd share that opinion? Why don’t their lives matter?

I just don’t see the faux outrage I guess. Like I said, if it was legally taken, and I don’t have any information otherwise, then some people need that big old bridge I mentioned earlier and need to start walking.
Niller, I never seen anybody outraged about shooting that cow. Some just said they wouldn’t have done it. What’s wrong with that? I also dont care what they do. I just feel sorry for the poor sucker that did.!

I get told I'm too opinionated with my views, yet those same people are here arguing theirs over and over 🙄

Congratulations to the owner of the piebald, great cull, great trophy 🏆 👏

I get told I'm too opinionated with my views, yet those same people are here arguing theirs over and over 🙄

Congratulations to the owner of the piebald, great cull, great trophy 🏆 👏
You are opinionated, but that’s ok, nothing wrong with that As long as you don’t attack others with your views. Some of these other pri-ks need to learn that. you say one thing and they start attacking.

Niller, I never seen anybody outraged about shooting that cow. Some just said they wouldn’t have done it. What’s wrong with that? I also dont care what they do. I just feel sorry for the poor sucker that did.!

Again, I have no issue if someone wants to say they wouldn’t have shot it. But some of the comments here go well beyond that.

You told Slam it’s okay to be opinionated, just don’t attack people. I’ve heard people call the person that shot this an idiot. And even an entire state of people idiots. Others called it immature and if you go back and read, there are certainly a couple others outraged by this killing. (And I’m not even talking about you! Your posts have shared a belief you have and haven’t attacked or criticized anyone, just presented something that is part of your belief system…which I’m fine with.)

Go scroll back through. You’ll see what I’m talking about.

This is a hunting forum. Once we lose the ability to lawfully kill an animal that tags were specifically designed to kill, how are we any better than PETA? This thread has been embarrassing for hunters.

It’s funny (and a little bit troubling for me to know I’m on the same wavelength as SS!), I thought I could hear that song playing as I was reading some of the posts in this thread.
I was writing que the Sara mclachlan song and SS was one step ahead. This thread is getting me stoked to smoke a cow once this cold snap is over

Good memory about Pink Floyd, the Flamingo people were trying to kill.
I had it fly by my spread a couple of times.
I never pulled the trigger.
My understanding was that it was a ‘Zoological’ specimen and not legal to kill?

Good memory about Pink Floyd, the Flamingo people were trying to kill.
I had it fly by my spread a couple of times.
I never pulled the trigger.
My understanding was that it was a ‘Zoological’ specimen and not legal to kill?

That was the argument if I remember right.

The other side being it was an invasive species.

Fish cop we were talking to said it wasn't a managed species in Utah, so have at it.

Was a fun season, saw territory I hadn't hunted

Long walk, I'm in no hurry to go back😉

That was the argument if I remember right.

The other side being it was an invasive species.

Fish cop we were talking to said it wasn't a managed species in Utah, so have at it.

Was a fun season, saw territory I hadn't hunted

Long walk, I'm in no hurry to go back😉
Thanks for bringing back my memory anyway.
I was running my airboat out there those years and setting up big spreads for friends and family to experience crazy fast duck hunts.
Saw Floyd quite a few times.
Good times!

What are you charged with now?

Nothing changed but you lose the trump
A lot changed actually. At the minimum it would be Illegal take of protected wildlife. Maybe Wanton destruction? Depending on the circumstances, I’m sure there’s a list of stuff you could be charged with, starting in the 2023 season. Then add the confiscation of the bird and a 5 year wait period before you could be eligible to apply for another permit.

A lot changed actually. At the minimum it would be Illegal take of protected wildlife. Maybe Wanton destruction? Depending on the circumstances, I’m sure there’s a list of stuff you could be charged with, starting in the 2023 season. Then add the confiscation of the bird and a 5 year wait period before you could be eligible to apply for another permit.
For a turkey? Or a goose? Crane?

I got a chance to talk with a DWR employee a couple weeks ago about this cow and got the scoop on this elk and how it was legally harvested where it was. All was good on their end of things when it was checked out by officers. Congrats to the young hunter on an outstanding trophy!

Too late I guess what a tool to shoot that elk
See Vanilla’s post #102 above and let it sink in.

Who the hell are you to criticize another hunter, apparently a young hunter no less, for by all accounts a perfectly legal harvest. Do you condemn every hunter that harvests a uniquely configured antlered buck or bull? If so, why are you on this forum?

I’ve showed this before, but he lived on the Rez. And I believe he died of old age cause no one would shoot him . We seen him several times over the years but this is the only decent picture. He got big too. View attachment 133987

@Horsecorn I'm not Sure if it's the same bull, but he was killed on the rez about 2 years ago. I do know ot was quite the ordeal and the tribal leaders had to get involved when it was killed but they ultimately cleared it to be mounted.
Screenshot_20240219_150055_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240219_150040_Instagram.jpg

But even the tribal members will shoot them on occasion.

See Vanilla’s post #102 above and let it sink in.

Who the hell are you to criticize another hunter, apparently a young hunter no less, for by all accounts a perfectly legal harvest. Do you condemn every hunter that harvests a uniquely configured antlered buck or bull? If so, why are you on this forum?
From what I've seen on this forum is everyone criticizes everyone else's opinion so what else it new.
Including you for criticizing me for wanting to see the gene pool passed on to others.

@Horsecorn I'm not Sure if it's the same bull, but he was killed on the rez about 2 years ago. I do know ot was quite the ordeal and the tribal leaders had to get involved when it was killed but they ultimately cleared it to be mounted.
View attachment 137567View attachment 137568

But even the tribal members will shoot them on occasion.
Cool looking bull
Congrats to the hunter

Ya that is a different bull. The bull we were watching is in rock creek. This bull was killed in hill creek. And yes it was a big deal. Most members were not happy.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom