Utah CWMU Hunt

tjsum

I'm not too familiar with any of CWMU units, but I currently have 9 deer points and would like to cash them in so I can start building elk points. I feel I'm in no mans land for the regular limited entry draws. Does anyone know of any CWMU hunts I could draw with 9 points that would be a fun hunt and a good chance to find a 155+ deer? I'd be willing to trade Idaho or Wyoming mule deer info in return.

Are you a Utah resident? Non-res can't apply through the draw for CWMU permits. You could buy one outside the draw though.

Edit: You probably are a resident if you're only building deer points, otherwise you could do elk at the same time. The WY and ID info swap threw me off.

I am in the same boat as you but with 10 Points and wanting to burn to put in for elk.... Get ahold of all the cwmu operators as you can and ask for pics of the deer they have killed recently. Also ask for there rules.... atv….. how many people can come..... can you camp on the property... dates...…

I have talked to around 10 of them this year so far and it was a rough year for most of them. 155 would be above average for last year according to the ones I have spoken to.

That’s a tough spot to be in points wise if you are looking for a number on a deer. Most of the CWMUs that produce trophy animals each year are well out of reach at 9 points. I realize 155 isn’t a huge deer, but I think the point still remains.

Many people believe the CWMUs are giving you a chance at bigger deer. For most, at least those within your grasp at 9 points, what they are offering you is probably a less crowded hunting experience rather than a chance at bigger deer. I think the advice to start calling and talking to operators is the best advice you can get. Find one that has rules that you would like to participate with, and go hunt and have a great time. Most of the complaints about CWMUs stem from hunters that didn’t read the CWMU rules or contact the operator beforehand and then they think they got screwed by the operator. The reality is they could have known the rules and how it would go before ever applying if they’d done their part beforehand.

Another thing to consider is whether or not the CWMU has more than 1 tag to draw. If it doesn't you can't really predict when you'll even draw the tag.

Thanks for the responses. I will try calling a few different operators. I'm leaning toward the CWMU route just to have a nice hunt that's not loaded with a bunch of hunters, even with not much of a chance at a smoker buck.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom