Utah decisions

Calbuck

Looking for insight into muley hunting in Utah. Have LE points to burn but not sure where. Have questions regarding GS units as well. Prefer private chat. I'll share info on units/states I've hunted if interested. I've hunted deer and elk in Nevada, CA, Idaho, Utah and Arizona.

Looking for insight into muley hunting in Utah. Have LE points to burn but not sure where. Have questions regarding GS units as well. Prefer private chat. I'll share info on units/states I've hunted if interested. I've hunted deer and elk in Nevada, CA, Idaho, Utah and Arizona.
Pm sent

Don't hunt up North for General season
Whoa, not so fast on the north being bad for General Deer. I glassed up five bucks today on winter range... AND ONE OF THEM WAS A 3 POINT!

Two of them were two points and the other two were spikes. The spikes were sparring, one of the 2 points had 6 does with him and the 3x3 had a broken hind leg and couldn't get around to eat so probably won't make it through the winter.

However, I only saw 11 does with the 5 bucks, so we're above the target buck:doe numbers.

DWR is probably planning to increase tags next year to get the herd back to its objective!

Whoa, not so fast on the north being bad for General Deer. I glassed up five bucks today on winter range... AND ONE OF THEM WAS A 3 POINT!

Two of them were two points and the other two were spikes. The spikes were sparring, one of the 2 points had 6 does with him and the 3x3 had a broken hind leg and couldn't get around to eat so probably won't make it through the winter.

However, I only saw 11 does with the 5 bucks, so we're above the target buck:doe numbers.

DWR is probably planning to increase tags next year to get the herd back to its objective!
That good huh?! 🤣

Literally couldn't stop from laughing, loved this post.

During this year's second season. Between three of us, we saw around 80 bucks and about 700 does but ya, don't hunt up north. We also helped a 12 year old boy kill a nice three point. His dad said that 3 point was bigger than anything he's killed in his lifetime but you might as well wait a few more years, for the units to get a little better. Here's the 3 point the kid killed.
PXL_20231024_210107200.jpg

Here's what I was thinking the past few days. I have been an Utah resident since I was born. I have 4 deer on my wall. 3 of them are from Colorado. 1 is from Utah. That makes me sad. lol
So can you give some insight on Colorado? 🤣🤣🤣

According to your stupid example. Although we saw 80 bucks and 700 does. The buck/doe ratio was about 11/100. So they need to cut a thousand tags. Although the herd objective is over right now. Thank goodness it doesn't work that way.

Figures lie, and liars figure. UT DWR figures on ratios, and 45:100 means you saw the buck, doe, and fawn that are left!!!

Figures lie, and liars figure. UT DWR figures on ratios, and 45:100 means you saw the buck, doe, and fawn that are left!!!
That was where I was going with my post. I was facetiously implying that the 5 bucks and 11 does that I saw (which is about 45:100) was the remaining deer herd on the Cache. That is therefore too high of a buck:doe ratio, and thus DWR would increase tags next year to get the herd back in objective.

They probably are looking at the count and thinking they need to kill three or four of those bucks to get to a 15:100 count.

I’d like to thank those of you who have reached out to me on this topic..lots of good insight and suggestions! Thanks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom