Utah deer CWMU advice?

utahbigbull

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-11 AT 00:26AM (MST)[p]
I drew my LE elk tag in 2010 and now the long wait untill I can apply for elk begins. I was hoping to get some help from some fellow MM guys on a decent rifle CWMU buck hunt a guy with no points can draw within 5 years untill I can start building my elk points back up? I would be happy with one that gives an oppertunity for a buck that is respectable for the wall but does not need to be a big bastage. I have done some looking on the DWR site, got some odds and satisfaction ratings on what might be some diecent hunts and have some ideas, but few have anything for the average harvested deer age. I am looking for one in the northern half from about Richfield on up. As long as the operator of the unit isn't a prick and there are a few 24 to 26 inch bucks to be chased, I couldn't ask for more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check the Hunt Odds on the main page. Once you have found a few that you think you could draw, call the operators and discuss the public hunting with them.
Also go to the DWR website and type in "CWMU maps" in the search engine. A list of all the CWMU with maps and info will come up and you can see all the special notes about the specific CWMUs.
There are several good ones, but if you get one with a crappy operator you will get screwed. I know Jacobs Creek is run by Justin Richins, and I have heard good things about him. That one is drawable with zero points. A guy I know drew it last year with one point, but he decided to shoot a 2-point the first day of the hunt. Don't Ask

Do your research online and pick a few you may be interested in and then post up a question asking about a certain CWMU. You should get some better info when asking about a specific CWMU.
Good Luck

Again---bigbull, elaborate what do you mean by this statement? "As long as the operator of the unit isn't a prick "

Todd Black
BTO

Again, I would be happy with an opperator that just treats everyone fairly no matter if they drew or paid for the tag was the meaning of that statement. I know a few people that have done the cwmu thing and had nothing but a miserrable time from the opperator making them jump through a lot more hoops and more rat race than the "prefered hunter". Just hoping for a fair shake and abide by the rules everyone else has to.

I have done some of that research and the units standing out to me are Chrises creek in Juab (my old stomping grounds), Pocatello Valley and Bastain Ranch. Has anyone heard anything on these?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-11 AT 06:18PM (MST)[p]Bull--

I think the ones you mentioned are good, go look at their satisfaction index, call the operator. I've never been able tell if someone is a 'prick' over the phone but it might give you an idea. You would be unwise not to call them BEFORE applying.

Question for ya. You said "I know a few people that have done the cwmu thing and had nothing but a miserrable time from the opperator making them jump through a lot more hoops and more rat race than the "prefered hunter""

Was that first hand knowledge or you heard it through a friend who heard it from a friend or better through the MM grape vine? If its first hand, would you please email me their names and the operator/CWMU and the year.

Also, If you heard it first hand, you now know of a few to avoid:) right.

Todd Black
BTO

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom