Utah Desert Sheep Question

G

gon4elk

I drew a moose tag this year for Utah and will have that "out of the way" and have decided to concentrate on Desert Big Horn for the draw in the coming year. Looking at the odds San Rafael(North and South) is very popular and I would probably be dead before I ever drew. Being fron N. Utah I don't spend any time in sheep counrty in the Southern part of the state so I kind of at loss.

Looking at the 2 San Juan units the odds are reasonable for sheep as well as the Kaiparowits Units. So why arn't more people putting in for these units? Anybody know? Poor success? The same amount of tags is offered for Escalante(6) si I assume there are good sheep #'s. I would like to put in for an area that I had soemwhat of a chance at drawing soemtime before I'm 80 but would hate to draw a dud too. Any thoughts out there?

There really are no "dud" desert sheep tags.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

None of the units are "duds", just different. Escalante and Pine Valley have big sheep, big odds and big country. Kaiparowits and South San Juan are a step or two down in overall quality, but the sheep area scattered and sometimes tough to find. The San Rafael units are middle of the pack sheep wise, that are easy to find, and relatively close to the major populations centers. I would not put in blind. If your only experience with desert sheep is the north san rafael, you will be in for a rude awakening with a east kaiparowits tag in your pocket. The rams are easier to locate from mid October to mid November. Until I made some tracks in the desert I would only put in for points. Some of the units have fifty to sixty square miles of sheep habitat, with only a hundred or so sheep in them. Good Luck

The odds are better on the Escalante because hunting the Escalante is a kick in the nut's!!!
But its the best kick in the nut's you'll ever have!!!
Put in where ever you feel you have the best odds. When you draw call Mossback and rent a couple of sheep whores to go with you. Later......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom