Utah draw now open!!!!

Hmmmm, what to apply for? I've got I think 14 elk points. What to do, what to do...........

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

Pretty tuff. However myself being a resident of Utah and having 20 elk points might help you fill a little better. Hopefully this year or next. Been in the top point pool for three or four years now. Utah elk is pretty much a once in a life time deal!!!

Done. My 17 NR deer points will turn into 18. Decided to hold out for the Henery. If I don't pull a miracle in the next 7 years I will move there after I retire and move the 25 to the resident pool and hunt then. What is 7 more years.

DZ

20 points and not drawing? Brutal!

I'm at 16 points for elk. In the process of changing my plans a little. I'm itching to hunt!

>Done. My 17 NR deer
>points will turn into 18.
> Decided to hold out
>for the Henery. If
>I don't pull a miracle
>in the next 7 years
>I will move there after
>I retire and move the
>25 to the resident pool
>and hunt then. What
>is 7 more years.
>
>DZ

oh, crap don't say that about CO.... there is a guy over in the CO forum throwing a fit saying point creep is caused by all the NR's moving to CO to use their points as a resident...

I am sitting only at 6 points for elk, and scattered numbers for the rest of species (NR), no serious hope yet just waiting my turn to hunt UT. Hoping my Dad draws a bull tag this year though!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Got me and the kids put in for all our stuff... Pretty sad to see that my 14 year old son has a better chance of drawing a good CWMU Elk with 0 points than he does of getting the youth any Bull tag! 1:17 odds for that tag last year.

2a0fcsk.gif

If you want to step up to the plate only 1 or 2 times in your lifetime to hunt for deer (or elk) in a state for a deer then so be it. Life is about choices. Accept that such choices to apply at 1% drawing odds does not make anyone a victim after 1 year or 5 or 30. 1% odds imply 100 years between when you draw a tag.

Example that comes to mind is AZ Strip hunts for deer. Wait 20 or more years to draw that tag and then odds are you will never even see a 190 class deer on your hunt much less harvest a buck. Another example of a tag that might take decades is UT Henry's hunt or UT rifle elk rut hunts. Wait that long and no wonder people freak out when the moisture levels are low and horns do not reach potential or is a fire closure or the Feds block access due to budget pissing matches.

I don't often apply for 1% odds, but when I do, it is a bighorn. Stay hunting friends.

If you want to step up to the plate only 1 or 2 times in your lifetime to hunt for deer (or elk) in a state then so be it. Life is about choices. Accept that such choices to apply at 1% drawing odds does not make anyone a victim after 1 year or 5 or 30. 1% odds imply 100 years between when you draw a tag.

Example that comes to mind is AZ Strip hunts for deer. Wait 20 or more years to draw that tag and then odds are you will never even see a 190 class deer on your hunt much less harvest a buck. Another example of a tag that might take decades is UT Henry's hunt or UT rifle elk rut hunts. Wait that long and no wonder people freak out when the moisture levels are low and horns do not reach potential or is a fire closure or the Feds block access due to budget pissing matches.

I don't often apply for 1% odds, but when I do, it is a bighorn. Stay hunting friends.

Not sure what to do? With 9 deer points 8 elk and 19 bison. Maybe just get another elk point to make my elk and deer points even ? I bet these young guys are wondering , how you draw a elk tag and a deer tag and still have that many points ?
Hunt Description Points Year of Last Point Year of Last Permit Harvest Survey Entered Year Eligible Reason (If Ineligble)
TURKEY, BONUS POINT 1 2013 2008 2014
Buck Deer 9 2013 1993 2014
Antlerless Deer 0 2000 2014
General Buck 0 2013 2014
Pronghorn Buck 1 1993 2014
Elk Bull 8 2010 1994 2014
Antlerless Elk 1 2013 2012 Y 2014
Desert Bighorn Sheep 0 2014
Bison 19 2013 2014
Rocky Mountain Goat 1 1995 2014
Bull Moose 0 2014
Bear 2 2013 2014
Cougar 0 1995 2012 2016 Waiting Period
Sage Grouse 1 2009

I just submitted my Utah applications. I am a non-resident now so my odds of drawing a tag are now worse than they were when I was a resident. I did go into the draw this year with 10 mountain goat points and 12 limited entry elk bonus points. Maybe I will draw a tag or two before I retire in 24 years. I also applied for bison, moose, premium limited entry deer hunts. I just bought a preference point for general deer. I figure I can come home to hunt the general season with my brothers every 2-3 years. I am most likely to draw my mountain goat tag, but even that is a long shot. I didn't do bighorn sheep because I figure I will draw in Nevada way before I would draw a hunt in Utah.

Good luck everyone in this years draw.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom