Utah Drawing System Process

backinthegame

Good afternoon folks...

Since we're in the midst of the Utah Big Game draw frenzy, I decided to make a call to the DWR to get some clarification in regards to how the actual drawing process takes place in terms of how your points "help" you in drawing a tag...

Obviously we all understand the bonus tags...50% of the tags are alloted to max point holders.

But how many of us understand how your points help your chances of drawing one of the non-bonus tags? I'm sure there are plenty out there who do understand the process, but I'd venture to guess there are plenty of us out there who don't quite understand how the process works out.

So here we go...

Say you've got 5 points, which is below max for your specific hunt species and unit. You are out of the running for bonus tags, but you're in for the randon tags. Call me an idiot, but I've been under the impression that would mean that your name goes "into the hat" 5 times...this is incorrect.

Your 5 points actually allow you to receive 5 different "draw numbers". These draw numbers are assigned at random and are what represent you as Joe Hunter when it gets to the nitty gritty and comes time to draw tags. With your 5 points, you get 5 numbers. The lowest of the 5 numbers becomes "your" number...your 5 points don't get you into the draw five times, insted they allow you five chances are pulling a low "draw number".

Now, once you've got your draw number it goes in as "you" in the actual tag drawing. Having a low number is an advantage, but not because they draw all the low numbers first...instead of drawing in order of number...1,2,3,4, etc...the computer system running the draw runs off an algorithm that assigns more "weight" to the low numbers. Meaning a lower draw number has a greater chance of coming up than a higher number but not that a lower number is guaranteed to come up before a high number. For example, If your draw number is number 1 you have a better chance of having that number come up before someone with a draw number of 25, but it is not guaranteed that your low number will be drawn before a high draw number.

The whole process is, not really surprisingly, somewhat complicated.

Your points do help, but they get watered down a couple times throughout the process. It would seem logical that if you have 5 points that your name should go into the draw five times (or more accurately six, 5 for your points and once for this year's app) ...likewise, someone with 10 points would go in 10 (11) times and someone with 0 points would go in once (for this year's app). That would give someone with 5 points roughly five times the chance of drawing that someone with 0 points.

Instead though, your 5 points gives you five chances at a low draw number, and then the computer algorithm gives you a more heavily weighted chance of drawing a tag if your 5 points allowed you to be assinged a low draw number.

I've tried to explain the whole process as best I can, hopefully it doesn't sound like total gibberish...hopefully it clears up some confusion about how the drawing takes place in regards to points.

I do wonder why the process is complicated to the point it is when it seems much more intuitive (at least to me) to simply put a guy with 5 points into the draw five (six) times, a guy with 10 points in 10 times (11) and a guy with 0 points once. Someone much smarter than me might have the answer to that!

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Please clarify "Instead though, your 5 points gives you five chances at a low draw number, and then the computer algorithm gives you a more heavily weighted chance of drawing a tag if your 5 points allowed you to be assinged a low draw number."

Wouldn't it be 6 chances to draw a low number for those with 5 points? People with 0 still have a chance to draw, hence 1 chance.

Bill

I am not a big fan of this part of the drawing process. As soon as you start designing a system to lean one way or another it is no longer random (which I thought it was). I would feel confident in assuming they teach their algorithm to draw someone with minimal points as well, since it happens so often.

I love the fact that you can get lucky and draw at any time, but I would be a much bigger fan of having better odds the longer you put in. At least more so than the current system provides. I'd like to see your name in more times or having a squaring system for these tags so that everything leans more heavily to the guy that has been putting in much longer. There are many tags that most people will never achieve max points in their lifetime (once in a lifetime tags).

Just my opinion....

I would assume you're correct Bill, that 5 points would give you six chances to draw a low number...but in fairness I'm not 100% sure of that, it's possible that 5 points only gives you five chances while someone with 0 points gets 1 chance...if that were the case then the points would be even further watered down...but again, I assume you're correct there.

That's a good question...if the system is "weighted" to favor the lower numbers, does that mean that it's also "weigthed" to allow at least one or two high numbers to come up?

In and of itself, the initial process wherein your hypothetical applicant is given the lowest of his 5 random numbers, will yield for him exactly the same statistical advantage, as placing his "name in a hat" 5 times would.

But as far as the ensuing stages of the draw, what are the specific details of this algorithm you mentioned? The one which gives weight to each applicant based on his final draw number? Since the final draw numbers are randomly assigned, why are they not simply sorted from lowest to highest?

I do know that some of the state draw systems have excessive randomization stages, apparently intended to go way overboard in assuring that their randomness cannot be challenged. Colorado is a good example, where they utilize an extremely convoluted system in the Sheep, Goat and Moose draws. Instead of simply using a random number generator app. Probably more of a legal CYA type deal than anything else.

"I would feel confident in assuming they teach their algorithm to draw someone with minimal points as well, since it happens so often."

Or, since there are an increasing number of applicants at each lower point pool, the shear number of low-point-applicants 'outweighs' the heavier weighted but significantly fewer high point holders.

Correct sticksender...up to the point of the 5 points giving you five (or six) chances of coming up with a low draw number, you'd still be in the exact same boat as if your name simply went into the draw five (or six) times.

It gets kind of strange with the "weighted" numbers and the algorithm...why not just sort and pull the draw numbers in order...1,2,3,4...or at the very least have the final draw numbers come out completely random, with no weighting...although at that point you'd negate any advantage to having five chances are coming up with a low draw number...but at least it would then be random.

This is nice info I wasn't really aware of, or have not payed attention to in such a long time. It's good to know rather than a snowball's chance in hell, in truth I actually have a large snowball's chance in hell of success in the random draw.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & the SFW Dislike Club

What if the number of tags is an odd number? Say 5 tags for an area. Will 3 of the tags go to the max point holders? Or will 2 tags go to the max point holders?

Touchdown88 - A quick check of draw results from the past appear to show that in the case of an odd number of tags, the Bonus tags are rounded down. For example, Muzzy Deer, LE San Juan, has 9 tags, 4 went to bonus tags, 5 went to random draw.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Thanks for the post backinthegame. While I was aware of the number assignment, I was not aware of the algorithm for "weighted" numbers... I assumed they started at 1 and just went up the list until the tags were filled...

I'm sure the algorithm is one developed and used in Vegas to give the house favorable odds, no matter how long a player plays a particular game. I wonder what game it was developed for though..??

Either way- with 9 points for the Book Cliffs, I will at least be in the bonus pool, even if there will be less than half of those bonus tags left by the 9 point level.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Most draw system algorithms are really hard to prove how random they are. Most draw systems are "certified random" by local universities and study groups, but when you look at how the computer generator loos, most of the time it is pseudorandom, meaning over a large sum of numbers or queries, patterns do exist.

It does seem to the untrained eye like my own that the "weighting" algorithm creates something that isn't actually a random draw...I could be wrong, and I'm not trying to start some crazy conspiracy theory or anything like that.

For me it's more just wondering why they choose to use a "weighted" system like that instead of some of the other options that have been mentioned in this thread?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom