Utah Elk application

S

Shootwice

I have 2 points for Utah Elk and as a non-resident I'm wondering if it is worth it to buy a hunting license for $65 and a point for another $10 year after year. How long will it take to get a good hunt? Archery and muzzy are options in addition to rifle. Thanks

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein following a vision that a Democratic VP would create a movie called An Inconvenient Truth.

It depends on how badly you want to hunt in Utah. I've put to much into the last 13 years to stop now. If you don't think it's worth the wait or the money you should go elsewhere. Then again, you may draw a tag soon, but you won't if you don't apply. I would plan on a minimum of 10 years to get a "good" tag.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-09 AT 02:40PM (MST)[p]" I would plan on a minimum of 10 years to get a "good" tag. "

As a nonresident who has looked a lot at the odds, that is probably an optomistic view. I currently have 4 elk points, and if I could know for sure I would draw a "good" tag in the next 10 years, I would be estatic!

And whatever the odds were last year, figure on them being considerable worse this year since we can now apply for more than one species. Same number of tags, just many more applicants

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

ALWAYS apply in the main draw. I drew a lotto tag with no points, one of the best tags I've drawn. Being lucky is better than having a bunch of points sometimes.

Ut is cheap on the hunting license.. try Arizona and nevada..$150 with just about the same odds as a NR.

If you ever want to hunt the state you have to play the game. alot of people draw every year with no or 2-3 points in the Random drawing, in Ut 50% go to the highest point holders and the other 50% go to the randon draw. which is better odds than you get in AZ or NV.

What do you mean the "main draw" and what kind of lotto tag did you draw?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Hell ya put in! I considered getting out last year with the "buy a license" change but figured I spend $60-70 a year on a lot worse things than a Utah license.

Oh by the way I drew a LE archery elk tag with 2 points last year as a NR!!! Better lucky than good, somebody has to draw!!

Sukie

It's all relative. $65 is chump change. Awhile back I was paying that to fuel my truck and go duck or goose hunting. Some days I got skunked. You gotta pay to play...

Right now you can draw GOOD, not great late rifle or muzzy hunts with less than 10 points. Getting in this year or later, you may never draw.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom