Utah General Turkey

HuntinFool

I'm going to buy a gneral turkey tag and give it a shot. Is the general tag for the whole state or for specific areas? Any general areas that I could look into would be great. I was also wondering what decoys and calls everyone has had success with. Another thing is that I want to do it with my bow. I have heard that if you are going to use a bow that you have to have a blind. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

I know that most of you guys are probably thinking that I should stop trying to get information off of everybody else and just go out and scout, but that's a little hard for me because I'm only 14.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-11 AT 07:20PM (MST)[p]Everyone was 14 at one time...

Quaker Call's, both slate and box. Primo's are anouther quality call maker

with a bow make sure it's a head shot, body hits are a hard kill on those big bird's

You don't need a blind but it sure helps.....

everywhere I know to hunt them is LE

HF,
Hunting turkeys is much harder than it seems and my best advice would be to find a partner that has done it before and get in his hind pocket.(follow him around) I am an old guy and I needed my nephew to show me the ropes. I have now been 5 years and I am still learning.
So first try to locate a good population of birds. In many areas the birds hang more on private land, so access becomes a problem.
Mouth calls are awesome, but they are hard to learn, so start with a box or slate call.
Use a striker to get toms to gobble... a coyote howl at night, or crow call during the day.
They are very smart birds and any movement sends them running.
I would leave the bow home until you have tried it with a gun, unless you get some really good help from an expert.
Good luck. PM me with any specific questions and I will try to help you.

With a bow you should hunt from a blind to cover your movement. I killed a bird last year with my bow from a blind at 28 yards stuck him through the body and he went a little ways but not to far so it is possible. Good luck gettin a head shot with a bow.
If your using a shot gun dont really need a blind but you will have to minimize your movement. Shoot the bird in the head if your using a shot gun.
I would start off with a box call they are real easy to learn and use.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom