Utah Goat

WHT_MTNMAN

I know this time of year gets crazy with questions but I have one of my own.
I have 8 BP for Utah Mtn Goat. I'm 35 from AZ, I have some reservations about shooting a nanny, but having never hunted them I just want one on the wall. With the limited research Ive done I believe I could get a nanny tag in a few years.

Now to the question.

Should I wait for a billy?
or would a nanny scratch my itch for goat.

Thanks

I have 11 non-res points and put in for nanny two years in a row (10 points and 11 points) with no luck.

I figure if you have to take a fricken class in order to tell them apart, what's the difference.

That said, unless you get lucky, your behind hundreds of others at 8 points. It could be a long wait, even for Nanny. Unless they start offering more tags and/or open up more areas to hunt.

Last year, 8 points got you a roughly 2% chance at a tag in both nanny hunts.

Here is my thought and I am no goat expert.
A goat hunt is tough hunting regardless of sex. A long nanny can even get in the record book, and a few have. But if you are a ways away from a sure thing, or even good odds for a nanny, then I would stick with applying for a Billy in the random draws since neither tag is likely to show up in the mail soon.

Taking a Nanny will definitely scratch your itch. It'll still feel good until having to look at it on the wall for a while. Then, you will know the difference first hand.....then it'll start to itch again. Wait it out and put a billy on the wall in the first place.

Just my $.02

Good luck with your decision.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom